Friday, August 1, 2014

Speaking of...

Speaking of riding horses into town...

These two ladies were stopped on the center median waiting for the light to change with cars turning every which way all around them.  They crossed in one crosswalk, and then crossed in another crosswalk in another direction.  What awesome horses they had.  Whenever I see something like this, I always wonder what journey the horses and riders took to get to this point where they feel perfectly comfortable on busy city roads.  I'm still trying to get my own horses to stop spooking at rocks.

4 comments:

TeresaA said...

I know, right? I honestly believe that it's a mix of temperament and training. You have sensitive horses. I've done tons and tons of work with irish and he's still not 100%. I don't think he'll ever be. I used to own this QH that would have dealt with the traffic situation with no problem at all.
I'm hoping that Steele will be like those horses. Early indicators are that he will be.

Sam said...

I've seen those ladies a lot! Back in the early days of living in AJ (almost 30 years ago!) we did that too. We'd get milk at the grocery store, lunch etc... Almost every place had a hitching post behind the store. Now we just don't trust the drivers. Too many close calls!

Dreaming said...

Just riding on pavement scares the heck out of me!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I never thought I'd have a horse safe enough and confident enough to ride in town, on city roads, through the drive-thru at Sonic, parades, or anywhere for that matter, but Apache mare is that horse.
It's a wonderful feeling knowing you can trust your horse to keep you safe and that she trusts you enough to go anywhere you ask.

Lisa