Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Little Moisture Goes a Long Way

I'm always amazed at how quickly the desert changes after it rains.  We don't have any shortage of yellow...


I thought this was some kind of egg when I first saw it...

It's a mushroom.  There are different kinds of mushroom all over the place, especially in my manure pile.

Our Lantana is usually covered in orange flowers and butterflies, but all the flowers closed up and the leaves exploded in growth just over the past two days.  When it spills over the wall and sits on the ground like this, we have to watch out for snakes that like to hide in there.

Supper time for the horses.  Thrush is rampant in their hooves right now.  We all can't wait to see the farrier tomorrow.

4 comments:

FoxLair said...

FYI...lantana is poisonous to horses, although most horses won't eat it because of its smell...also common in AZ that is very poisonous is oleander...one leaf can kill a horse

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

FoxLair - Yeah, pretty much everything in Arizona is poisonous, so that's why I don't let my horses eat anything that grows on my property or along the trails, and I have good locks on my gates so they can't escape to help themselves.

fernvalley01 said...

nice to have some moisture I am sure! And Happy Belated Birthday

achieve1dream said...

So pretty!! Your lantana is huge!! I had some in a pot but it died. Now I'm wondering if I should even plant more if it's poisonous... I do let Chrome graze on my yard....