Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Follow Up

I finally began feeling well enough today to make a little progress.  I worked on the round pen footing and the weeds, and then went down to the barn to see if any horse would volunteer to accompany me on a walk.  Lostine whinnied and walked up to me when she saw me approaching with the halter.  It's kind of funny, because not so long ago, and for most of the years I have owned her, she has run to the far side of the paddock when I have approached with a halter.  I guess she's finally beginning to enjoy our low pressure outings.

Lostine is now my favorite hiking partner.  She walks beside me and lets me put my arm around her while we walk.  She's so short and hangs her head so low that I can stroke her mane as we go.  She's also good about letting me lean on her to pull cholla balls out of my shoes.

I noticed that sometime during my isolation, the electric company came by to pick up all of their equipment they left out in the desert, but I was frustrated to see that they left all their garbage behind.  Now I've got to remember to bring gloves and a trash bag out on my next hike to clean up all the soda cans and water bottles.  Jerks.  I have never seen a place where people are so disrespectful of nature as I have seen here in the desert.  I don't think I have ever intentionally littered in my entire life, so I can't understand people who do it.

Lostine kept tripping over rocks, so I led her through a different gate onto a paved road thinking it might be a relief for her to not have to navigate uneven ground.  She picked up her head a little higher being in unfamiliar territory and surveyed the yards of all the houses we passed.  At the horse rescue, a leopard Appy and a Belgian came galloping up to the fence to greet Lostine after she bellowed out an ear-piercing whinny to them.  She was okay with having strange horses run at her, but she didn't like the cactus house.  Too many misshapen spiky things growing out of the ground.  Once she spotted the barn, she tried dragging me home, but I corrected her and she settled down.  It's so nice how quickly she comes back to me after losing her mind for a moment.

Last night right before dark I took the dogs out to potty and found that the horses had stopped eating and were alerting on the arroyo in our back yard.  I held very still and listened, waiting to see if a coyote was coming up out of the wash.  Then I heard hoof beats.  A woman climbed up the hill in our back yard leading a horse.  She stopped at our sign and stared at it.  I watched her closely for any indication that might suggest whether she was guilty or innocent of tagging it.  She scratched her head and then began looking around my back yard.  When she finally spotted me looking back at her, she moved along.  Now that I know that people are probably trespassing at night, I may set up an ambush for them and have a little chat about asking for permission before entering private property.  I'd also like to know where they go.  If they follow the arroyo, they cut through a lot of people's back yards and wind up in an odd location.  What is this secret society that hangs out in my section of the arroyo?

I did find a new barefoot farrier.  I was a bit suspicious that his schedule was wide open, though.  Unfortunately, I remembered to ask his price after we set up our appointment, and he charges quite a bit more than what I am used to paying.  So, that's probably why he doesn't have many clients.  I'll give him a try, though, because if he does excellent work, then it may be worth it.

Getting hay was a different story.  The last time this latest hay supplier delivered, I asked if they ever run out of hay.  I needed to know, so that I could plan ahead and order in advance.  The man said they never run out.  Then I asked what is the longest amount of time I would have to wait between order and delivery, and he said 24 hours.  I was skeptical.  I'm used to hay running out in October and having to wait two weeks for a delivery when it is available.

So, this time I got down to four bales of Bermuda when I called in my order, trusting that they always have hay and they can deliver within 24 hours.  I got a voicemail message listing all the different hay they have available and asking me to leave my order.  Then I received a message that the mailbox was full and I could not leave a message.  Not good.

I called right back, hoping someone was just in the bathroom and could now answer.  The man who picked up said they were all out of hay.  Say what???  Then he hesitated and said, "Unless you'd be interested in a handful of smaller bales of alfalfa and Bermuda mix that have been sitting around a while.  I only have fifteen of them."

I said, "You've got mix?  That's actually what I prefer.  I asked if you carry it last time, and was told that you did not."

He said, "Oh yeah, we carry everything.  We just happen to be sold out of most of it."

So, I had them deliver the fifteen bales.  I asked the delivery man when they expected to have more hay.  He looked at me sternly and then hocked a loogie at my feet.  Nice.  Then he said, "This week."  Say what???  Again???  If the other guy had told me they'd have more hay in a few days, I would have just picked up something at the feed store and put in an order for the near future with them to save on delivery costs.  Oh well.  Another lesson learned.  Make a list of questions to ask when I call.

Owning horses sure is getting expensive and stressful.  It seems each time I order hay, I have to buy something different from what they have been eating, so I have to introduce the new feed slowly to fend off colic.  It sure would be nice to grow my own, and also to have hands that are strong enough to trim my own horses' hooves.  I have very small, delicate hands, and have failed strength tests given to me by my neurologist.  That explains why I drop everything.  I have actually been leading a horse only to discover that I dropped the rope, and fortunately the horse hadn't figured it out yet.


Cindy D. said...

I'm wondering if you tried the company I referred you too. "The Hay Company" I was buying from the exclusively for a while, Pellets, mostly but some hay as well. But once the word got out about them, they could no longer keep up with the demand. Plus their hay would be good sometimes, and not so great the next. So the troubles you are having make me suspect it is the same company.

I've started going back to G Farms in Stanfield. When the boarders pay the rent at the first I make a trip to get a ton of pellets, which so far seems to be lasting me over a month.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Yup. Same company.

achieve1dream said...

Sorry you are having hay problems. The guy we got our hay from this year was a total jerk. He sold us a really awesome bale and then when we got the trailer and went back he sold us some decent hay but not as high quality. The last time we showed up he tried to sell us hay I would never feed to a horse for the same price! What a jerk!