Saturday, October 25, 2014

From the Archives

Picture post ahead.  I'm sharing some pictures taken with my Nikon Coolpix P600 over the past couple of weeks.



A snakeskin in our front yard.  About three and a half feet long.  Probably a glossy snake.



This butterfly's wings flapped so fast that I had to crank up the speed on my camera to get a clear shot.  It flapped faster than the hummingbird.

We've spent most of the past month shoveling manure into our new trailer, taking it to the dump, and shoveling it out.  We used to get right in to the dump, but because of all of the weeds that grew after recent storms, there is now a long line of gardening trucks at the weigh station.  We put a huge dent in our manure pile...


I also finished raking rocks and spreading manure in the round pen to soften the footing.  Now grass is growing there, so I let the horses graze there.  They are all so good about not throwing a fit when I separate them from the herd now.


Despite all the manure, the flies seem to be more interested in my horses' muzzles.  If it weren't for the fly masks, I'm sure every horse would have eye infections.  I've been alternating fly sprays, but the flies seem to be immune to all of them now.

I saw this cute little dark gray bird hopping around the horses' legs in barn and was amazed at how comfortable it was around horses and humans.  Then I saw it eating something off the ground between the water troughs and realized that it was eating my Fly Eliminators that I just sprinkled there.  Bad bird!  I kept trying to chase it away, but it just flew circles around me and landed in the same spot to feast some more.  I usually sprinkle the bugs at night when the birds are sleeping, but the bugs hatched in the morning and I was afraid they would suffocate in the bag if I didn't release them sooner.


The horses finally discovered the Himalayan rock salt I put in the barn.  I was hesitant to try this product because I knew my horses would try to eat the rope, and they do try, but I just keep tying it up in a bow.  The nice thing about hanging the salt instead of setting a block of salt on the ground is that it can't melt and get washed away in the rainstorms.

I attended my first Tai Chi class and found it to be rather fascinating.  It's a very slow form of exercise that involves moving a ball of energy around with your hands.  After just a few minutes of these exercises you actually feel like you are carrying a vibrating, warm ball of electricity in your palms.  It looks easy, but it's hard work, and I was dripping sweat at the end of the hour.  But then again, I'm usually dripping sweat after an hour of sitting on the couch too.  Next week we should be dropping down into the 80's.  I can't wait.

I did publish my novel a week or so ago and found solutions to some of the formatting problems.  The whole project drained so much of my energy that I've taken a break from it, but I will do a post about it with links to where you can get your copy in the near future.

3 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

The pictures are stunning! that butterfly one is my favorite! Looking forward to the novel. I really enjoyed your last one

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

That first butterfly photo is stunning!

achieve1dream said...

Wow those pictures are amazing!! I'm blown away by the hummingbird picture. Mine always turn it bad lol. I might need to try that salt block on a rope. My horse get their block so filthy!!