Thursday, October 9, 2014

Simon Says

Tropical Storm Simon says no one is going anywhere this morning.  None of this "take two giant steps forward" stuff.  

I awoke early this morning with an urgent feeling that I had to get out of bed right then to feed the horses.  I stepped outside to find myself under a gray dome of lightning that flashed across the entire sky's expanse.  I ran down to the hay barn to feed the horses, but did not have any open bales.  I had to move a bale and cut it open.  By the time I was done doing that, thunder and lightning were all around me with some rain.  I fed all four horses as fast as possible, but before I could get out the gate and run to the house, they sky opened up and the metal roof of the barn exploded in noise.  All four horses started running out of their stalls into the aisle where I was standing.  I knew I would be on the hoof end of a stampede if I didn't get control of the situation, so I jumped up, made myself really big, and threw my arms out with palms out like a police officer stopping traffic.  Amazingly, all four horses came to a simultaneous stop, looked around, and went back to eating their hay.

I couldn't get out of the barn and reach the house without getting pelted and slipping in mud, so I stayed in the barn to wait it out.  I saw my husband backing out of the garage and thought, "I hope he doesn't think he's driving to the office this morning, because he'll never make it."

Then I thought, "I hope he drives down here to pick me up."

He did drive down to the barn and I ran to his car.  It turned out he was coming down to help finish feeding the horses.  I told him I was done, and I just needed a ride back to the house.  I tried to talk him out of going to work, but he said he needed to leave right then before it got worse.  Five minutes later he was back home.  The roads were flooded and he knew if he ventured any further he'd probably be looking down the wrong end of the Stupid Motorist Law.  In Arizona, anyone who has to be rescued from his vehicle because he drove through flood waters has to foot to bill for his own rescue.

My daughter is a teacher, and her classroom is at the lowest point in the school, making it the very first to get flooded.  Her classroom carpet has had to be replaced several times, and the maintenance workers always try to shore up her outside door with sandbags when they know it's going to rain.  She's in Mexico right now enjoying sunshine on a beach with her boyfriend, and I'm glad, because if she stayed in the area on her fall break, they'd be calling her in to clean up any mess that her classroom suffered.  According to the news, the location of her school was hit hard with flooding.

We essentially got two inches of rain in one hour.  It was as if we got hit with the wall of the eye of the storm.  The arroyo in our back yard was more full than we had ever seen it.  People were driving and walking into our back yard to watch the flood.  My horses were alarmed by all the activity and had a hard time eating.  My neighbor's property is built upon four tiers or plateaus, and this is the first time we've seen the water get up to the second tier.  The street in front of our other neighbor's house was transformed into a wading pool, and it's not even one of those dips that is designated with a DO NOT ENTER WHEN FLOODED sign...

If the water built up any further in our front yard, it would have reached the front door and made its way into our house...






Despite our best efforts to prevent Bombay's stall from flooding, it still happened, but Rock is never worried about getting his feet wet.

Fortunately, this was a very small portion of the entire storm system and the rest of it passed by in a different area, so the rain quit after an hour and all that water is already soaking into the ground.

8 comments:

Ian H said...

Wow. Never a dull moment!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ian H - I do have plenty of dull moments. I just don't write about them. I try to always have a story to tell before writing a post, and Mother Nature has provided me with plenty of subject matter this summer.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, my! We had the remnants of a storm move through here Tuesday and Wednesday...a few drops, but that was all. Seems the storms like to funnel through Arizona, then up to Las Vegas. We always get the fringes.
Cheryl Ann

How Sam Sees It said...

I was amazed by how much water hit. When I fed in the evening Mom's wash was still going strong. We've had some amazing weather this year.

Cut-N-Jump said...

That's what we call a gulleywasher.

Crystal said...

That's a lot of water in a hurry, good thing it soaks away quickly

fernvalley01 said...

that is a helluva storm!

achieve1dream said...

Wow that's a lot of rain!!!! I'm so glad it didn't reach your front door!