Thursday, November 6, 2014

Good Deal on an Equestrian Helmet

I bought a new Tipperary equestrian helmet last February and talked about it in this post.  But I really loved the indigo color of the Troxel Intrepid helmet I had passed up.  I couldn't stop thinking about it.  Then last week I received an ad from Chick's Saddlery about the Troxel Liberty helmet coming out in a new color:  midnight blue / cobalt.  It liked this shade of blue even better than the indigo.

Turns out that Chick's is doing a special offer at half price.  You can get this helmet for $39.99 while supplies last.  I ordered last week and received mine today.  It is adjustable from front to back as well as side to side, so once I got it fitted properly, it was very comfortable.  They say you should get a new helmet every five years.  Obviously, it hasn't been five years for me, but this one is adjustable enough that I can lend it to other riders, and I'll probably take turns riding in the two helmets.

I just wanted to let everyone know, because this is really good deal for a helmet, and $39.99 is way cheaper than imaging for a concussion or worse yet, brain surgery.

7 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

You'll have to let us know how the Troxel compares to the Tipperary. I love how well ventilated the Tipperary Sportage is, and the Troxels I've worn more recently seem very hot in comparison. Granted, though, those were the kids' schooling helmets, so I'm wondering if yours will be any better. I figure if you aren't too hot in it in Arizona, I'd be fine in Colorado. :)

Katharine Swan said...

Oops, forgot to check the box to get comments emailed to me...

fernvalley01 said...

it looks nice, is it lightweight?

lytha said...

Hey, I have that helmet! I think I paid 50$ though, which is still good. Probably Chick's will charge as much for shipping as the cost of the helmet, so I won't be able to use the offer, even though I'm wanting another one, in white. Or the matte grey, oh, they've got so many nice colors. The cobalt is lovely.

The only thing I don't like about the Liberty: It's clearly an economy helmet when viewed from the underside, with the foam (?) exposed.

The reason I'm not interested in a Tipperary, even though they look so nice, is all the marketing all over it. They could have been a little more discreet but apparently wanted everyone to know, from all angles, what brand of helmet you have.

Now for the sad state of helmets in Germany. Unless you want to spend 200E, you have to wear something that looks like cheap crap. There's nothing under 100E that looks like a quality product. Ready for the ugliness? Here: http://www.kraemer-pferdesport.de/Reithelme.htm?websale8=kraemer-pferdesport&ci=247440

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Lightweight -- yes. I'll have to get back to you on the ventilation.

baystatebrumby said...

I am looking for a helmet right now and just saw your post! What excellent timing! I have always been wanting to try that brand. LOVE that cobalt color.

achieve1dream said...

I need a helmet bad! Mine is thirteen years old!!! Thanks for telling us. That color is gorgeous. My favorite. I hope they have some left.