Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Horse Business

My husband and I spent his holiday off from work shoveling a ton of manure out of the trailer at the dump.  Then every horse got at least a thorough grooming, if not a bath.  I also lunged each horse in the round pen, because I think they have all forgotten how to exercise.  They've just been standing in the shade most of the summer, so they have no muscle tone.

Gabbrielle was clean, but her mane and tail were yellow, so I tried just wetting down her mane and tail for shampooing, and she did not take it well.  I had her tied to the railing, and she pulled back and reared up several times.  I was like, "Really?  You've only been hosed down after every ride for the past couple of years.  What's so freakin' scary about the water now?"

She tried pulling the rope halter off her head and almost succeeded.  She pulled the knot so tight that I couldn't get the halter off her.  I oiled and soaped up the knot, but couldn't get it to budge.  Then I remembered a special trick.  Instead of trying to pick at the knot to loosen it, grab the post and wire outside of the knot and push in toward the knot.  That instantly loosens it.

Unfortunately, with all of her efforts to evade getting wet, Gabbrielle got wet in places I didn't mean to get her wet, and then she promptly rolled in a pee puddle and pile of manure.  I should have quit while I was ahead, because she was cleaner before the bath than after.

All the horses seemed to enjoy getting their ya-yas out in the round pen.  They were really responsive to my cues, so I didn't have to do much other than to stand still and crack the whip every once in a while.  I'm going to try to exercise them more often now that it is cooling down so that they can start rebuilding muscle.

2 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Silly mare! funny about the light colored ones they always seem to be the ones that find the yucky stuff to roll in

achieve1dream said...

How weird that she acted like that about the water. Silly mare!! I heard using vinegar can help gets the tail strains out. I've done it a few times and I don't know for sure how well it works because I don't know how it would have been just washing it lol.