Monday, November 17, 2014

Timing Collisions

Is it just me or does this happen to other people all the time?

I've mentioned in past posts how I don't like to schedule more than one appointment per day, because my appointments always end up colliding somehow, some way.  Now I'm at a point where I can't even schedule more than one appointment in a week without a collision.

Today I had a furniture delivery scheduled.  They forced me to leave the entire day open until they could narrow it down to a 3 to 4 hour time slot.  They sent me a text message asking me to verify that 1:30 to 4:00 PM would work for me.  I confirmed that.  Then they had someone call me to confirm it a second time.  That's another one of my pet peeves.  One confirmation is enough.  I guess a lot of businesses get tired of being burned by customers who aren't home when they show up, so they have to hound us into a time commitment, and ask us to verify multiple times just in case we were lying the first couple of times that we committed.

Then I received a call announcing that they were on their way, but had to make two other deliveries first.  "Ummmm, can you narrow it down to a more specific time slot?  I've got dogs I have to lock up before you arrive, and I don't want to leave them locked up all day.  I was told you would call when you were on your way to my house."  (Not when you are on your way to other people's houses.)

I suggested that with two other stops before mine, they might arrive around 1:30 PM, and the guy said, "Oh no.  Way before then.  More like 1:00."

Huh?  That's half an hour before my time slot.  Think about people who have to take time off from work to go home to meet deliveries.  Showing up early puts a crimp in things, yet I can't seem to get any business to commit to the original window of time they hounded me into committing to.  Well, guess what time they showed up?  1:40 PM, ten minutes past the time I suggested, so my time estimate was closer than theirs.  My poor dogs were locked up for over an hour when you figure in the time I was expecting them to show up and the time it took for them to unload and assemble the furniture.

The delivery men also did what everyone does, which is to blast right past my house so that I had to run out into the street to wave them down.  If I didn't stop them, I'm pretty sure they would have blasted right past my house a second time, and then they would have been calling me again for directions.

But the issue I'm completely baffled about is this...  While I was filling in and signing all the paperwork for the delivery, my phone started ringing.  Can you guess who it was?  It was the people I have an appointment with tomorrow, calling to confirm that appointment.  I wanted to say to no one in particular, "Can't I just finish with today's appointment before discussing tomorrow's appointment?"

Our current society sure makes it difficult to "be here now."  I was home all day, didn't receive any phone calls all day, so why did they have to call during the one minute of the day when I was busy with people in my house and it would have been rude for me to pick up my phone and make them wait for the paperwork?  There are 1,440 minutes in a day.  What are the chances that two appointments would need my attention in the same minute of those 1,440 minutes?  Stuff like that happens to me all the time.  I just don't get it.  There must be something the universe is trying to teach me, because this happens to me repeatedly, yet I'm not learning any lesson here.  It just seems like I have timing issues that are completely out of my control, and the universe gets some kind of pleasure out of watching me squirm.

One time I had my well break down and the repairmen showed up right when I was getting a hay delivery.  Can you guess where my well is located?  Right next to my hay barn, so both trucks needed to be parked in the same spot, and both services needed to be paid and have their paperwork signed simultaneously.  I do have two hands, but I'm not ambidextrous.

Regardless of the timing problems, here's the end result of today's appointment:



We got our new dining set just in time for Thanksgiving.  Now watch no one show up for Thanksgiving dinner.

5 comments:

fernvalley01 said...

Well it is gorgeous! so that helps some I hope?

ellie k said...

That is really a nice set, I love the table top. I think we all have those problems with delivery, I get tired of waiting all day for a ten minute delivery.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

I mean do other people have the problem of having everything happen all at once instead of one after the other? For instance, many times I can go all week without anyone calling, and then as soon as someone does, my phone starts beeping because a second call is coming through while I already have someone else on the line. Or someone comes to the door while I'm on the phone, despite no one trying to contact me all day or week or month. Or my doctor appointment in the morning runs hours late, and I receive a call that my appointment for the afternoon has been moved forward and I need to be on the other side of town right now...

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, that's a beautiful table and chairs!

achieve1dream said...

Wow that dining set is gorgeous!!!!! Good pick!!

I don't seem to have a lot of time conflicts. My biggest problem is people not showing up and not calling to tell me they won't be there until I've spent a whole day waiting. Similar I guess.