Thursday, December 11, 2014

Concrete Plans

This morning I let Rock and Gabbrielle out of their stalls since they had wolfed down their breakfasts, but I left Bombay and Lostine locked in since they were still picking at the contents of their feed barrels.  I went to the feed store to stock up on more products that were recommended by readers, and when I returned, Gabbrielle was lame.

This is why I always hate to focus on training her.  One or both of us always manages to get bit by bad luck every time I start working with Gabbrielle.  I know it sounds foolish and superstitious, but this is my experience.  I have no idea what happened to her.  She's dominant over Rock, so Rock would not have kicked her.  She has no swelling on her legs.  Her feet are not sensitive or showing signs of an abscess.  I think she threw out her left shoulder -- probably when being too aggressive while chasing Rock away.  So, she's on the Disabled List.

It's too bad because I wanted to ride her today.  It's been a while since I've ridden between the rain and my health issues, and we are supposed to get more rain this weekend.  I took Lostine for a walk in the desert and she was quite perky about the whole thing.  I love it when the horse I choose is happy to join me on my walks, because having a scared or grumpy hiking partner is never fun.

There's this white bucket that someone dumped in the desert a few months ago.  I figured it had to be cracked from the sun.  I'm sick of looking at other people's trash, so I decided to go pick it up and take it home and dump it in my trash bin.  It turned out not to be a bucket at all, but a solid concrete cylinder that was once inside of a bucket.  It was surrounded by chunks of concrete, rocks, and broken glass.

It suddenly occurred to me that this would make the perfect mounting block, so I rolled it away from all the hard, sharp stuff over to some soft sand and set it upright.  It wobbled a bit, so I stuck a shim under it and viola!  I was able to stand on it and tower over Lostine's back.

I've been looking for a solution to not having anything to stand on when mounting in the desert.  When I lived in the mountains I could usually find boulders, but there's nothing sturdy to stand on in the desert.  I struggle with trying to set my horse in a ditch and then stretch my legs from the sloped side of higher ground to reach the stirrup and still be able to push up and out to swing my other leg over.  I don't know if this concrete cylinder will be tall enough for me to mount my taller horses, but it should work with the shorter mares.  I never got around to asking my husband to go cut those old telephone pole stumps shorter.  I was a little worried that would not be legal since telephone poles are the property of the power company.  But I don't think anyone can punish me for making use of someone's trash.

I didn't take my camera with me, so I don't have a picture of it, but I did get a picture of that weird orange tree on the side of our house.  The oranges are finally ripening in December.


Also, someone wants to remind everyone that he's cute...


1 comment:

achieve1dream said...

He is cute! That's so awesome about the chunk of concrete. Yay for a mounting block!!! :D I hope Gabrielle feels better soon.