Sunday, December 28, 2014

Jackpot!

Life is irony.

I'm very particular about what I wear.  If something pinches, binds, or I have to keep adjusting it, then I don't want to wear it.  I have a few items in my wardrobe that are absolutely perfect in every way, but despite lengthy Internet searches, I cannot find them.  It appears that they have been discontinued and have ceased to exist.  So, I have to spend hours upon hours shopping for something similar, usually without much luck.

My son and I bought a ton of clothes for my husband for Christmas, but he didn't have enough of his preferred type of hangers to store them all in his closet.  He asked if I'd go with him to get hangers after Christmas, but I said no because I don't like the crowds who are out to make returns and exchanges, and people looking for deep discounts.  It can be as bad as Black Friday.  But today I figured it was safe.

I mentioned that I needed some solid black tops to go with some black and white patterned pants I own.  I didn't find any in the misses department of the first store we visited, so I went over to the sportswear section.  I just happened to turn around and see the label of my favorite sports bra.  So, THIS is where I bought them from umpteen years ago.  I was finally able to stock up on the most comfortable bra in the world, and I wasn't even out looking for them.  But I won't tell you how many hours I searched for them online over the past couple of years.

The next store we visited simply because we hadn't been there in what feels like centuries.  I found two black tops, one of which was fade resistant and shrink resistant.  Woo hoo!  The whole reason why I needed more black tops was because all my old ones had faded to gray and shrunk up above my waist.  I don't look good in crop tops with my muffin top.  I also discovered that this store had the type of blue jeans I've been keeping my eye out for, but they didn't have them in my length.  I was tired of hemming jeans.  Then my husband found a pair in my size and length that looked like they might work.  I tried them on and they did.  Jackpot!

We stopped to eat lunch and took the long route home to check out a new-to-us tractor supply store.  It turned out that they sold all the equine fat supplement brands that my local feed store does not, so I have another type to try out on the horses.  I also found something that had what the dog toy I got the dogs for Christmas lacked:  Squeakers!  Lots of them.  The monkey I got the dogs is great for playing tug-of-war, but the body and head are too big for the dogs to get their teeth into the squeakers.  The tractor supply place had a gray bunny that looked like our wild rabbits, and it was filled with 19 squeakers in the head, tail, paws, and up and down its pelt.  I can't tell you how often I check out dog toys in stores and can't find anything good.  I usually have to settle just so I can get the dogs something for Christmas.

We also found a lightweight snow shovel that I can use to get bigger scoops of manure when we take a ton of it in the trailer to the dump.  My husband has been using a heavy snow shovel with a short handle and I've been using a regular shovel with a long handle.  This new snow shovel is lightweight enough and has a long enough handle that it should be perfect.  I suspect we will be able to get the job done in half the time since the scoop is twice as big.

On the way out of the store I noticed that they stocked the types of sports sunglasses I need to fit under the brim of my riding helmet.  That last few times I needed sunglasses, I could only find the big fashion lenses, so I've been using the same scratched up wrap around sports pair for the past several years.

Last week we stopped at the pharmacy to make a pick up, and a lady informed me that their reading glasses were buy one pair, get two pair free.  I was like, "Hallelujah!" because I am always misplacing my reading glasses and having to hunt around the house for them.  I jokingly said, "If I could have one pair for each room in the house, I'd be all set."  Well, now I do thanks to that sale.

It's amazing what falls in your lap when you aren't even looking for it after years of fruitless searching.

3 comments:

How Sam Sees It said...

I love that Tractor Supply store - I'll have to let you know what fat supplement I bought for my one hard keeper. I think I'm finally getting some padding on her, although I feel like it took longer than expected. Off the top of my head I can't think of it - it's at Mom's house.

Cheryl Ann said...

JC Penney discontinued their Cabin Creek stretchable womens' jeans!!! I'm so disappointed. Having had 2 C-sections, I need the elastic waistband! I bought a similar pair at Sears and the butt has already worn out (in less than a year!). WalMart makes similar jeans, but they are paper thin...

Sigh...I feel your pain...
Cheryl Ann

achieve1dream said...

That is awesome! Congrats on your jackpot! I'm glad you found all of the things you needed. I feel you on the clothes shopping. It's such a pain!