Friday, January 9, 2015

Gabbrielle is Back on Four Legs and Rock got a Raincoat

I gave Gabbrielle another soundness test and it appeared as if she had fully recovered from her hoof abscess, so I saddled her up for a trail ride.  My husband rode Rock.  Every time I try to get her through the gate first, she gets right up to it and then runs backward.  She's ridden over these gates dozens of times, so I'm not sure what her problem is.  I've tried both sitting still and just letting her choose to go through on her own, as well as putting leg pressure on her to keep going, but she's got her mind set on refusing to go through first.  Once Rock went through, I struggled a bit to get her lined up, so I had to intentionally back her up.  Maybe that's what I should be doing -- practicing asking her to back up so that she doesn't mistake other movements I might make as cues for her to back up, because right now she seems to be the Backup Queen.


Right before this next picture was taken, a bird flew out of a bush next to us, Gabbrielle jumped sideways, Rock bolted a few steps forward, and my mobile phone started ringing simultaneously.  Interestingly, the repetitive ringtone seemed to calm Gabbrielle down.

Gabbrielle was nervous most of the ride.  She would insist on being in front because Rock was walking too slow, but once she had the lead position, she'd start eyeballing everything, alerting on it, and then deciding it is nothing and walking past.  Eventually, she'd just stop and tell Rock to get in front.  It seemed to soothe her nerves having Rock in the lead, but I had to remind her to stay off his butt several times.  He finally whacked her in the face with his tail, and that did the trick.

Bombay was crying out to us when we were tacking up, leaving and coming home.  I said, "If you want to go on trail rides, then you need to behave like a gentleman."


After the ride, we went out to lunch and bought a plastic walk-in shed to store hay pellets.  I had been storing a pallet piled with bags of hay pellets in the garage, but moving the bags down to the barn every few weeks was getting to be a pain.  If I did it, just lifting an 80 lb. bag into the wagon would pull muscles in my neck and back, and my husband has been getting home from work after dark, so he can't always move the bags when needed.  Then the vet increased the amount of hay pellets to give the horses, and now I'm going through on 80 lb. bag every 4 days.  So, my husband piled all the bags outside, and after they got rained on, the water seeped into the bags and caused the pellets to mold.  So, our solution is to store the bags in a shed next to the barn.

I'll take a picture of the shed once we've got it built.  In the meantime, I threw the plastic wrap into the horse paddock and let the horses go at it...





Keep plastic bags away from children.

A lady hiking up on the hill stopped to watch me drape the plastic all over Rock.  I figured she was either waiting for him to go ballistic, which I knew would not happen, or she was thinking I was going to smother him.  I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs, "I've got a million dollar horse!"

6 comments:

ellie k said...

Rock is so good to play with, his name fits him well most of the time.

How Sam Sees It said...

I love having to figure out the best ways to store feed here. I've got my bran in a totally separate shed - just because it is the one that seems to want to attract bugs and mice. The hay and pellets are in another area - I get my exercise walking around looking for feed. ;)

Cheryl Ann said...

LOVE the photos of Rock and the plastic! I wonder how Scout would react? HA!

Grey Horse Matters said...

That picture of Zrock encased in plastic is priceless! What great horse.

achieve1dream said...

Awwww Rock!!!!!!!! So cute!!!!!!!! :D

Katharine Swan said...

I love that picture of Rock draped in plastic with his ear sticking through a hole in the top! And he totally looks like he is hamming it up and enjoying the attention, too. What a silly boy and a great horse!