Sunday, February 1, 2015

Heads Up

I'm planning on enrolling my books in the KDP Select program to use their marketing options and see if my sales improve.  What that means is that my books will no longer be available in any format other than the Kindle, and will not be available anywhere other than in the Kindle Store.  If you don't have a Kindle, you can still read them by downloading a Kindle reader application to your PC, laptop, tablet, or smartphone.

When I first began publishing ebooks, I published them for the Kindle and a few people asked me to make them available for other ebook readers too.  I chose Smashwords, because it could save me the trouble of having to reformat my books for each ebook reader with its converter, and could distribute the books to more locations than I could.  However, that choice hasn't paid off for me, while Amazon has won over my loyalty through the quality of its services.

So, if you've been thinking about getting one of my books, I wanted to give you fair warning before switching to KDP Select.  For instance, if you have the Nook and you don't want to have to install a Kindle application to it, now would be the time to download my books.  I keep a list of my books with links on where to get them on my side bar, but here is a little more information:

A suspense/thriller novel about the evolution of a spiritual medium and psychic detective.

A suspense/thriller about a family of mysterious oddballs bent on stalking their neighbors.

A collection of poems on the topics of pregnancy and motherhood.

One of these days I will have to put together a collection of my poems about horses just for the readers of this blog.

More about me:  My writing career began 30 years ago when I studied creative writing at the University of California, Riverside.  I served as a fiction editor, managing editor, and graduate adviser for the MOSAIC campus literary arts journal, and won the 1988 Birk Hinderacker Award for best poetry.  I then spent 10 years studying poetry with a writer's group out of Carson City, Nevada called The Ash Canyon Poets.  I traveled around the country performing in public poetry readings and leading poetry workshops.

My poems, short fiction and essays have been published in literary journals all over the United States, as well as in the United Kingdom.  More recently, my novels have been published electronically.  I chose to concentrate on the suspense/thriller genre because I do most of my reading in waiting rooms, and have found that it is the only genre fast-paced enough to hold my attention with all the activity going on around me.  I wanted to write books that respect the time of today's busy readers.

11 comments:

Katharine Swan said...

You should check out a book I read recently, called Write. Publish. Repeat. It's a very well-written and thorough how-to for self-publishing and all the marketing and other stuff that goes with it. The authors discuss various platforms and strategies, and may have some ideas for you. They are very pro-Kindle, but also have some things to say about diversifying vs. KDP Select. It looks like the ebook is $5.99 most places, but it's a great book and worth every penny, in my opinion!

Cheryl Ann said...

Nuzz, I studied creative writing at UC Riverside! I was there for my MA and I decided to take some English courses! This was back in...let me see...1974- 1976. Small world! I took 3 courses in Shakespeare...loved every minute! A couple more courses and I would have another degree in English!
Cheryl Ann

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Katharine - Thanks for the recommendation. I'll go take a look.

Cheryl Ann - I'm assuming you got your MA in elementary education? I got my elementary teaching credential there. Back when I attended in the mid-80's, UCR only had a creative writing minor, but now it is one of the top universities for getting a MFA in creative writing. Even after I graduated, I'd go back there to attend Writers' Week. Writer's Week is where I met Maxine Kumin, Pulitzer Prize winning poet. We kept in touch through letters occasionally. We both loved poetry and horses.

achieve1dream said...

I have your books but I forgot about the new one! Thanks for warning me. I'll go download it now. :D

achieve1dream said...

Oh now I remember why I didn't buy it! I don't want to sign up with Smashwords lol. I'm going to just get it on Amazon since I have a tablet that I can use the Kindle reader on. Also I'll do a review on my blog and on Amazon when I read them if you'd like. It might be a little while because I'm doing the 2015 reading challenge and have a bunch lined up though. :)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

achieve1dream - Oh, I didn't realize that people who purchase books have to sign up with Smashwords. Thanks for reading my books. I'd love to have you do a review and let us know what you thought.

achieve1dream said...

Yeah it does. It's probably not a big deal to sign up with them, I just don't really want to bother with another account when your books are probably the only ones I want to buy. I had bought your other books on Amazon and I really do like them so I just bought your newest one on there too. I like reading on my tablet. The only problem is I can't read on it at night because it's too bright and keeps hubby awake, but I'll find time during the day to read them. :D I've been dying to read them, but I always forget about the Kindle ones! I'll let you know when I've read them. :D

fernvalley01 said...

I still have to get your second book! thanks for the reminder

Crystal said...

I've got the first two but need the new one. Will get it now since I just finished my last book

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

fernvalley01 and Crystal - Thanks for reading them! It's good to know that you read other books by me and are still willing to read new ones. Tee hee.

Cheryl Ann said...

Nuzz, no...my MA is in political science. I spent 10 years out of college, then returned when I was 34 to get my teaching credential at UCR. Boy was I OLD! All those "youngsters" in my classes...sheesh! It was strange going back 10 years later! I love UCR and it is only 45 minutes from our house. Sometimes I just drive up there and wander around the campus. I took our daughter there once when she was in high school. She was doing a research study of Civil War era songs and I drove her up to the library there to do research. You know what she said about the library? "Too many books!" HA!
Take care.
Cheryl Ann