Saturday, February 14, 2015

Just Plain Weird

A few days ago I noticed the horses stretching their necks over the fence toward the neighbor's back yard.  I wondered if some home buyers were feeding them carrots or something, so I went outside to investigate.  I purposefully built the fence to my horse paddock 12-feet away from the property line fence so that neighbors couldn't feed my horses or let their horses be nose-to-nose with mine in case one of them got sick.  They colic a lot less since I moved them into this setup.  At the old house, I had to constantly be asking different neighbors to stop feeding my horses.  People who didn't even live on my street would walk up it to feed them, so it's nice to finally have my horses in a space where the general public doesn't have easy access to them.

When I walked out onto the porch, I didn't see anyone, but there was something that looked like a toolbox or caddy sitting on the ground near the fence.  I walked over to get a closer look, and it turned out to be a Mylar balloon.  Rock gets particularly excited about playing with balloons, so I contemplated climbing through the fence to get it for him.  The only problem was that I would have had to let myself through three gates to get to it, and if any of the gates were padlocked, I'd have to climb them.  I've had to deal with my neighbor's gates in the past when they were temporarily boarding my horses while we were having sand dumped in the arena, and all of their gates are heavy, they drag on the ground, and they get jammed easily.  I decided it wasn't worth the effort, and I went back in the house.

Some time after that, my husband went for a bicycle ride.

Some time after that, I walked into the garage and found that same Mylar balloon leaning up against my husband's bike.  I figured that I told him the story about wanting to get that balloon for the horses, and perhaps it had blown out of the neighbor's yard and he picked it up when he was out bicycling.

A few days later, I saw the balloon still in the garage and remembered to ask my husband where he found it.  He looked startled and said, "I thought you put it there."

We both were quite a bit stunned over the mystery, because in order for that balloon to fly from our neighbor's back yard into our garage, it would have had to fly south, then west, then north.  In other words, a whirlwind would have had to carry it.  The other odd thing was that on the day it showed up in the garage, we had kept the garage door closed most of the day and night.

I decided to chalk it up to the paranormal.  Anyway, here are some pictures of the horses having their fun with the stray balloon that a ghost delivered to us...

Rock is always the first to possess toys.  He's still a little boy at heart.

Lostine doesn't play much, but she's fearless about most objects, so both she and Rock let me rub the crinkling balloon all over their bodies.

Gabbrielle, of course, was horrified.  And fascinated at the same time.  If I shook it anywhere near her, she ran away...



Bombay and Gabbrielle always huddle behind Lostine for protection.

Lostine snapped at Bombay for being chicken, so Bombay finally decided to strap on a pair and approach the balloon...


That made Gabbrielle feel braver, so she took a few more steps forward.  Eventually, the boys began their usual game of Take-Away...

And since the balloon says HAPPY BIRTHDAY, I'll dedicate this post to blogger Cheryl Ann, whose birthday is on Valentine's Day.  Happy Valentine's Day to everyone too.  Perhaps tomorrow the ghost will deliver a heart-shaped Mylar balloon to the horses.

7 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Thanks, Nuzz! However, it isn't my balloon! (tee hee!)
Cheryl Ann

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Cheryl Ann - Trust me, you wouldn't want anything my horses get their teeth into anyway.

achieve1dream said...

That is so bizarre, but cool!! I love the pictures. The one of Gabrielle cantering is so great. Her long, pure white mane is so gorgeous. I also love how you can see Bombay's blaze because of his fleabites. :) I've never been a fan of flea-bitten grays, but your two are so gorgeous that I am actually happy Chrome is going flea-bitten. :D

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Yeah, it's hard to believe that Bombay used to be a bay horse with a white blaze and some socks, while Gabbrielle used to be almost black.

achieve1dream said...

Yeah it is!! It's hard for me to believe that Chrome will be flea-bitten gray someday!!

Do you have pictures of Bombay and Gabrielle before they grayed out? I would love to see them.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

achieve1dream - Here's a post with a picture of Gabbrielle a short time after I got her. She was starting to gray and dapple out by then, but it gives you an idea of how black she was as a foal.

http://nuzzlingmuzzles.blogspot.com/2008/04/two-blue-ribbons-later.html

And here's a post with some pictures of Bombay as a yearling that were on print film, and I scanned them into the computer. He was lightening up a bit since he was a foal too, but I didn't own either of them until they were yearlings, so I don't have foal pics.

http://nuzzlingmuzzles.blogspot.com/2008/11/then-and-now.html

achieve1dream said...

I love them!!!! They were so cute!!!!! Someday I'm going to have to go back through your archives to read what you posted before I found your blog. That picture of Gabbrielle reminds me so much of Chrome when he was younger!!