Monday, February 2, 2015

Most Hilarious Antics Yet

The sun is finally starting to do its work on all the mud, so I set up a chair in the barn to sit with the horses and read.  Gabbrielle immediately came over and wiped snot all over my pants, and then proceeded to try to eat my new muck boots.  I swatted her away and she grabbed the arm of the chair and pulled up, trying to tip me over.

I picked up my chair and moved into a stall, closing the gate behind me.  Gabbrielle desperately poked her nose through the bars trying to get to me, but eventually gave up.  That's when I heard splashing.

I turned around to see Rock with his entire head dunked in a water trough, and he was throwing his head from side to side, splashing waves out each side of the trough.  He'd come up for air, look around, and stick his entire head in the water again.  I guess he was washing his face.  Either that or trying to keep the flies off.

Of course, as soon as I started laughing and thinking about running back to the house to get the camera, Gabbrielle stepped in between me and Rock as if saying, "Don't look at him.  Pay attention to me!"

When I didn't pay attention to her, she chased Rock away from the water trough.  So, no video.  Sorry.

I noticed that Bombay has been scratching up his face again, which means the flies are bothering him.  Flies in February.  Technically, they were already here in January.  I put in my order for Fly Eliminators, but they won't come for another few weeks.

So, I grabbed a curry comb, a soft brush and some fly spray and began working the mud off each horse's face and body.  Gabbrielle was being very pushy, insisting that I groom her and only her.  I had to keep shooing her away, and when she thought I wasn't looking, she would sneak around to the other side of the horse I was grooming and bite it to tell it to move along.  I was too lazy to tie her up or lock her in a stall, so I just kept giving her my stern voice and the face I make that is supposed to mimic a horse pinning its ears back.  She responded by using her sweet face tactic and stuck her head underneath the other horse's neck in hopes of the brush accidentally coming into contact with her face while I was grooming the other horse.  It took a while, but everyone did get groomed.  Baths will definitely be in order once it really warms up outside.

So, do you remember my flying dismount off Bombay last spring when he took off running and bucking down a very narrow trail lined with cactus?  I had hyper-extended my right knee and was limping around in a brace for a while.  Well, remember those lovely new muck boots I just got with the deep treads?  I was trying to stomp the mud out of those treads this weekend, and I felt something pop at the back of my right knee, followed by the feeling of fluid running up and down my leg and around to the front of my knee.

Of course, this happened not even an hour after I signed myself up for a kickboxing class.  I should have known better.  Historically, any time that I join a gym or start a serious exercise regimen, I injure myself.  I put ice on it and tried to go without the knee brace, but I kept on bending my knee backwards each time I stepped down too hard, so now I'm back in the brace.  I've decided that I'm going to go to kickboxing class anyway.  Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I'll leave you with some silly horse play pictures I took last week.  I gave my jacket back to the horses after cutting off all the buttons, so that I wouldn't have to worry about them swallowing them.


Gabbrielle photobombing everything, as usual...



Pay attention to me and only me!

4 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

She is a riot! There's a girl who wants "her" time and lets you know it.

Sorry to hear about your knee. I recently had the same thing happen and it turned out to be a baker's cyst. Same feeling of water running and hurts like hell. Feel better.

fernvalley01 said...

fun ponies! Sorry about the knee, I think you should follow your instincts and still go to the class, just give the instructor a heads up about your injury

achieve1dream said...

They are so cute!!! I wish you'd gotten Rock on video. You need to carry your camera when you go sit with them hehe. I had a horse that used to do that and I think it was just playing. Anyway I don't remember noticing flies around, but I could be wrong.

Sorry about your knee. That sounds awful! I hope it heals up a lot quicker than last time.

Crystal said...

How can you resist her cute face???? Can't wait to hear how kickboxing goes Ive always wanted to try that.