Friday, February 13, 2015

Shreddin' It

The horses were bored the other day, so I threw them what was left of my jacket to play with...

Bombay's fly mask is missing because Rock ripped it off his face and dunked it in the water trough.  Bombay destroyed Rock's fly mask the following night, so now both their faces are naked.  I have to give them old or cheap masks at the beginning of fly season and wait until they grow bored with shredding them before buying them anything nice and new.

This wily coyote was whooping it up on the hillside behind the arena, and every coyote within a mile was calling back...

On the prowl.

We've got our local rodeo coming up, so I'm seeing more and more people galloping their horses on the trails.  Since Gabbrielle will lose her head and take off running with galloping horses, I decided to just ride her in the round pen and arena for the next couple of weeks until things settle down, but then the neighbors behind me up on the hill started laying down dirt to pave a driveway or something.  I don't really know.  I just hear and see the dump trucks and tractors day in and day out, and see all this dirt and sand flying up into the air and precipitating down into my round pen and arena.  I'm having breathing problems, so it looks like I won't be able to get much done with the horses anytime soon.  The other neighbors who have been bringing in a convoy of dump trucks to the back of their property over the past few months blocked me from being able to get home from running errands the other day.  They had a line of dump trucks blocking the street, and I had to wait for each one to do a six-point turn to back through this narrow gate from a narrow street.

I have a ridiculous story to tell -- not horse related, but blog worthy, none the less.  I've been having problems sleeping, so I took a few things to help me sleep the other night.  I passed out on the couch with my head in a bad position and woke up the next morning with a kink in my neck.  It hurt to turn my head from side to side, so I was walking around like someone in a neck brace, turning my entire body with my head in a stiff manner.

One time, several years ago, a similar thing happened, but while I had the kink in my neck I coughed and felt something pop in the back of my neck, followed by hot and cold fluid flowing down my neck and back.  I couldn't turn my head for weeks afterward.  I went to watch my daughter pitch a softball game, and someone playing baseball on the field behind the bleachers hit a foul ball, which slammed down onto the metal bench right next to me, bounced over my head, just missing me by an inch, and hit another lady in the face, breaking her sunglasses and cutting her nose.  So, this time I was being very careful not to do anything that could exacerbate the problem.

I'm not sure if it was before or after that event, but a neurologist ran an EEG around my head and neck because I was losing use of both my arms, and when he reached my neck, the machine started making those static Geiger counter noises like crazy.  He moved all around my neck and finally said, "Do you have pain in your neck?"  At the time, I didn't.  The pain was only in my arms.  He said, "Well, according to these results, you have nerve damage and chronic neck pain."  I said, "If that's the case, I must be so used to the pain that I don't even feel it anymore."

With this latest kink, I was worried about attending kick boxing class, because part of our warm up involves head rolls and other exercises that require movement of the neck, but I decided I would just do what I could like when I hyper-extended my knee.  The instructors were good about not pushing anyone to go beyond what they were comfortable with.  I didn't want to march into class announcing my latest injury, because I didn't want to sound like I was excusing myself from working out, and I figured I could take care of myself.

The director showed up to help the instructor teach the class.  He was explaining how the moves we were performing against the punching bags translated into self defense if someone were attacking us.  Without warning, he lunged at me, pushed his forearm into my neck, and then swung his fist into the side of my head, pushing my face to the left so that he could karate chop me at the base of the skull.

Of course, he was gentle about it and only used enough pressure to demonstrate the moves, but in my condition, the pain from already having a pinched nerve in my neck made it feel worse than it was.  I was in shock and just stood there thinking, "Did that really just happen?"

So, lesson learned.  Always let martial arts instructors know at the beginning of class if you are stiff or in pain.  I have a few days off from class because of the holiday, so hopefully I will have recovered and have my normal range of motion back by the next class.

I also received a phone call about a photography class in which I had been put on a waiting list.  I was seventh on the list, so I had no expectation of getting into the class.  I already made other plans on how I would be spending my time.  However, they opened up a second class just for the people on the waiting list.  I have a few days to think about whether I want to take the class or follow through on my other plans.  I'm thinking that since I seem to be on a roll of injuring myself and not being able to ride the horses, I may as well take the class.


Cheryl Ann said...

I'm going to have to check with our local community college to see if they have a photography class. I would sure love to take one!
Cheryl Ann

achieve1dream said...

OUCH!!!!!!!! That had to be painful! I hope your neck heals up quickly. I hate when I get a crick. It makes everything so much more difficult and I stay hyper aware of my neck all day. Ick.

I LOVE the photos. Photos of the boys playing are some of my favorite. The coyote photo is incredible! Wow!