Monday, February 16, 2015

The Ghost Really Loves My Horses

I jokingly said in my last post, Just Plain Weird, that perhaps a ghost will deliver a heart-shaped Mylar balloon to my horses.  You have to read the previous post to understand the context of that comment.

So, this afternoon Bombay was helping me get my exercise by being my walking/jogging partner on the trails.  We were approaching the property where some strange new concrete building was being erected.  I was trying to figure out whether it was a house, a garage, or a workshop, when Bombay alerted on something in the opposite direction.  At first I thought it was a bicyclist, because I saw a glint of silver, but as I watched the movement, I realized it was a bouquet of Mylar balloons caught on a bush.

I got really excited, because I knew the Rock would have so much fun playing with those.  However, I also knew there was no way Bombay would tolerate me carrying those home while leading him at the same time.  So, I ran him back to the barn, hopped on my bike, and raced half a mile to the balloons, trying to reach them before some hiker or bicyclist came along and snagged them.  I also wanted to grab them before some unsuspecting horseback rider on a green or spooky horse stumbled upon them blowing in the wind.

Fortunately, they were still there.  When I rode up to them, I burst out laughing to see that they were all heart-shaped balloons.  Some were just pink hearts and some had the word "Princess" on them.  There were nine all together.  I raced back to the barn, hoping I wouldn't run into any horseback riders and cause an accident along the way.

As I was riding down the driveway, the bouquet of balloons flew up into my face so that the horses couldn't see me.  They just saw this blob of hearts flying at them.  The Arabs ran out of the barn and froze to stare in horror, but Rock panicked and ran back and forth in his stall, crashing into the railings.  I stopped before he hurt himself, and got off the bike.  Then I walked with the balloons behind me while calling out, "Rock!  It's just me!"

He looked at me and came out of the barn.  I tied the bouquet to the fence, and Rock happily trotted over to play with them.



He worked one loose and it floated away...

Now there were eight.  Two for each horse.  Bombay finally approached when I set them on the ground after Rock popped most of them with his teeth...


But Rock made it clear that this latest gift from the ghost was all his, and that he is the only Princess in this herd.

6 comments:

TeresaA said...

oh that is hilarious. I'm picturing the arabs all frozen in terror.

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, he is hilarious!

Linda said...

That's awesome. How often do you find bouquets of heart balloons...NEVER. Priceless!!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Today I let the horses finish off the balloons. No one was scared of them when I brought them out. Rock released another heart into the atmosphere and then started walking around with the bouquet stuck to his hoof. Suddenly, I heard a BOOM! as he popped one of them. Nobody even flinched. Whoever thought my best horse trainer would be another horse?

achieve1dream said...

That is so awesome!!! Best valentine's gift from ghosts ever!! :D I absolutely love the picture of Rock with his lip in the air trying to bite the balloon. :)

HHmstead said...

Laughing all the way :-) Love the photos! Can't imagine the pop! We find them deflated & hanging from trees on occasion. Going to have to try this with Farah - my birthday balloon is loosing it's "lift"! :-)