Sunday, February 22, 2015

Wildflower Hunt

My homework for this week is to take a picture of the same wildflower in five different ways.  We are encouraged to take pictures within a few hours of sunrise and sunset, which is right when I am busiest.  I have the added challenge of not finding many interesting wildflowers close to home.  My husband and I went on a bicycle ride to see if we could find something growing in areas I don't normally hike or horseback ride.  I didn't bring my camera because it was the middle of the day.  I just wanted to find some wildflowers so that I wouldn't have to cheat by taking pictures of a flower in my yard.

As we were racing down the trail, my eye caught a long snake in front of me.  I couldn't swerve in time to go around it, so I slammed on my brakes and screamed.  A part of me was hoping my scream would scare the snake off the trail, but it didn't budge.  I stopped just an inch away from running over it, and quickly pushed myself and my bike backwards away from it so that it couldn't bite me.

At first I thought it was a rattlesnake, because it had the markings, but not the deep, vivid coloring that most gopher snakes have around here.  My husband asked what happened, and he couldn't even see it.  He said it was good thing I was out in front, because he would have run over it.  Once I stopped shaking from the shock of nearly hurting the poor thing, I got a closer look and saw that it was non-venomous.  I took pictures with my mobile phone and researched it when we got home.  I'm pretty sure it is a glossy snake.

We found a few wildflowers, but nothing that really inspired me to photograph it.  I was hoping to wait until morning to give them a chance to bloom more, but it looks like it's going to rain.  If it's not raining at sunset, I'll take my shots.  Otherwise, I may have to skip the assignment.

2 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

We're just starting to have a few wildflowers over here. Lots of yellow ones (encilia), especially next to the freeways. I haven't got out to investigate...maybe next weekend.
Cheryl Ann

achieve1dream said...

That snake is so pretty! I can't believe you were able to see it. Wow that's some amazing camouflage.

I hope the assignment works out!!