Thursday, March 5, 2015

On the Mend

My absence has been due to one illness leading to another leading to another.  I'm realizing that the medication I am on to control one health problem is just aggravating another.  This setback is rather disappointing because I could see that I had lost weight and was in better shape from taking kickboxing classes, and now after lying in bed for a week, I'm back to being weak and shaky.  This past week has been all about minimizing pain.  Most pain killers were useless, so when the pain got to be more than I could bear, I'd take pills to put myself to sleep.

I'm looking forward to getting out to hike and horseback ride in the desert again.  I've been feeling bummed about all the wildflower photo shoot opportunities I have missed.  I haven't been able to attend a single photography class since that first day.

I wish I could say that I got a lot of reading and writing in while I was sick, but one minute to the next was mostly about figuring out how to position my body so that it is in the least amount of pain.  When my eyes were open, I was usually just staring at the spines of books on my shelves dreaming of reading them.

My daughter and husband have been helping with the barn chores and taking care of the dogs before and after work for me.  But neither of them are really fully recovered from their illnesses.  As a first grade teacher, my daughter is constantly being exposed to viruses, so once her immune system weakens, it takes a long time for her to get healthy again.

Everybody is under stress, which doesn't help fighting off the viruses.  My daughter had a sudden, inexplicable rise in her blood pressure.  She's only 24-years-old, and her blood pressure is higher than mine.  She is slim and physically fit, she eats healthy and exercises, yet she's at risk of having a heart attack or stroke.  The way she found out was that she had a headache she couldn't get rid of and went in to see a doctor.  So, the blood pressure medication got control of her headaches, but now she struggles to have the energy level needed to do her job.

To top that off, she's at risk of losing her job this year due to funding restraints, and is definitely going to have to transfer to another school under the guidance of a different principal at the very least.  My son and his girlfriend both lost their jobs last week and are scrambling to find work in the film industry in So. Cal.  My son's girlfriend is a film editor and my son is a jack of all trades doing photography, filmography, editing, research, social media marketing, screen writing, graphics arts, and computer programming.  I'm tempted to add acting into his list of talents, because he used do some acting, and I always thought it was his calling, but he prefers to be behind the camera.  If anyone knows of any job openings for them, please let me know.  We're not as worried about my daughter, because teaching positions are a dime a dozen around here.  The pay is so low that nobody sticks around for long before finding something that pays better.  Jobs in the film industry are seasonal, though.  You have to wait for a new project to get funded and know somebody who can put in the good word for you.

2 comments:

Once Upon an Equine said...

Sorry to hear of your family's job and health challenges. Hope you all feel better soon.

achieve1dream said...

Wow I'm so sorry you're sick and in so much pain and that your family is under so much stress right now. You're all in my thoughts. I hope things turn around quickly. *hugs*