Saturday, March 21, 2015

They're Out


It rained yesterday afternoon and last night, and then today was bright and sweat worthy, so all the critters came out.  I saw a rattlesnake crossing the street.  Unfortunately, it was headed toward the house of the neighbor who chops off rattlesnakes' heads.  Then this afternoon I was on the lookout for snakes when I almost stepped on the Gila Monster in his usual spot where I see him every spring.  You may wonder how I can be looking for snakes and miss a giant neon orange and black lizard before nearly stepping on it.  My view was obscured by a rock wall while I was going up some steps, and he was at the top.  I froze and yelped, while he spun around and ran back into his hibernation spot.  So, unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures.  But I think seeing my first rattlesnake of the season and seeing my favorite G.M. on the same day is pretty awesome.

7 comments:

TeresaA said...

love the rainbow! I've never seen a gila monster.
do you need to worry about the rattlesnakes and the horses? And dogs?

Cheryl Ann said...

I haven't seen any snakes YET on the highway or up at the ranch. The ranch owners quickly get rid of any snake on their property, poisonous or not... I DID see a herd of 8 bighorn sheep and I'll put up photos of them later this week.
Have a good week.
Cheryl Ann~Yes, I'm FINALLY feeling better!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

TeresaA - Oh yeah, I have to worry about rattlesnakes all the time, but I still like them. However, I know a few people who know someone who has been bitten or who had an animal bitten, and they quickly came to despite rattlesnakes. I've met people who are adamant about killing every rattlesnake they find, while other says live and let live. Everyone has his or her reasons.

Cheryl Ann - Looking forward to the photos of the bighorn sheep. I'm glad you are feeling better.

Brenda said...

That is really cool you saw a rattlesnake and a gila monster on the same day! I think I've mentioned that I've never seen a rattlesnake in the wild, but I have seen a G.M. out by Saguaro Lake and I envy that you see them as often as you do, which is really unusual. Just remember they're a protected species in Arizona so you can't do anything with them. Even if you hire someone to come out and relocate it, they have to release it within, like, 20 feet of where it's found or it will starve to death trying to get back to its territory.

I'm glad you don't do anything to the snakes. :)

Dreaming said...

Awwww, too bad you couldn't get pictures of the gm. Despite all of my visits to AZ, I have never seen one up close and personal in the wild.

HHmstead said...

Amazing rainbow photos! Almost shades of orange! Having just returned from a desert trip - I was happy to return to my cold, wet woods :-)

achieve1dream said...

That's so cool! I'm glad your gila monster is back. :D I love the rainbow pictures!