Monday, April 13, 2015

Bump in the Road

It seems the obstacles just keep on coming regarding my ability to ride horses as often as I would like.  If it's not the weather, it's my health.  If it's not my health, it's someone else's health.  If it's not someone else's health, it's me being too busy with other things.  If it's not me being too busy with other things, it's the neighbors.  If it's not the neighbors, it's construction...

And they all tend to string themselves out, one right after the other.  I feel like a motorist who has been stopped at a stop sign waiting for a break in traffic so that I can merge onto a main highway, and that break just never seems to come.  So, then I start thinking that maybe I just need to gas it and cut someone off, otherwise I'll be stuck here on this side street forever.  But then that is risky, because I could cause an accident, and if I'm hurt or tied up in a lawsuit for hurting someone else, I can't be going where I want to go anyway.  So, I just sit here and wait for my break.  Ever feel like that?

If only it would start raining when I'm sick and the horses are injured and I'm busy running errands while sick and the neighbors are having a party in the rain and the construction workers are working in the rain, then I'd be happy because all the annoying stuff happened all at once.  You know what I'm saying?  But, of course, no one wants to work or party or get out and do obnoxious things in the rain.  They all wait for the best horseback riding days.

So, this morning I was looking forward to going on a trail ride, thinking today was the day to take young, spooky Gabbrielle out without a buddy horse to use as a pacifier.   I was feeling good, both mentally and physically up to it.  I jumped in the shower, and when I got out, the whole house was vibrating from some low rumble going on outside.  Damn it!

I figured some neighbor brought in another slew of tractors and dump trucks, because that seems to be the theme of this year in my neighborhood.  Everybody's changing the topography of their land after the big flood last summer.  I looked around, but didn't see any trucks out back or in my neighbors' yards.  But I could still clearly hear the rumbling of very large engines, and the horses were agitated.  Then I heard voices yelling and turned to see power company trucks and workers out on the main bridle trails.  Didn't we just go through this last spring or fall or something?  I thought they were done replacing power poles.

The trucks eventually drove off in a caravan, so I thought that was my chance to take my trail ride.  However, instinct told me to bicycle out on the trails first to find out what those power company workers were doing.  It turned out that they've been busy...




It was a good thing I didn't just hop on Gabbrielle and ride her out, because I'm sure she would have spun and run toward home as soon as she saw all this strange stuff along the bridle trails.  I can't ride out her trot and canter.  She's just too off balance, so I would have been doing one of my flying dismounts and hoping for a soft landing.  I'm considering calling my old horse trainer who has ridden her at the faster gaits and is familiar with her spooky runaway behavior.

It turned out that several of my retired neighbors hiked and bicycled out onto the bridle trails to see what was going on too, so there was more traffic than usual.  One guy was out there inspecting the boxes of parts, and when I rode up from behind him on my bike, he bolted -- (pun intended).  He acted like he got caught stealing nuts and bolts, but I knew it was more a matter of me catching him being nosy.  He was wearing a big floppy sunhat and carrying a walking stick.  I know if I rode up on him crouching down digging through the boxes when I was on any of my horses, and then they saw him spring up and take off like that, they would have had a heart attack.

So, it looks like I'll be spending the next few weeks desensitizing the horses rather than enjoying pleasant, relaxed trail rides.  I'm starting to think that the summer heat is my friend, because its the only thing that makes all these people go away so that I can ride the bridle trails without man-made surprises popping up all around me.  In the meantime, I'll be working on getting my horses to look less like this...

...(startled), and more like this...

(dum de dummm, just sitting her chewing on my toenails.  Nothing to fear.)

6 comments:

achieve1dream said...

Oh my goodness that rabbit is so cute and I love how you used the photos. :D I hope the desensitization goes quickly and that the horses are chewing their toenails in no time so you can enjoy calm, relaxing rides. ;)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Oh, yippee. I was right in the middle of microwaving some taquitos for lunch when we got a power outage. Yup. They're definitely out there working away on those power poles. It's that time of year were I get to reset every clock in the house each time they cut the power.

achieve1dream said...

Oh how annoying!!! I hope you got your power back quickly!

Mrs Shoes said...

I was just wondering if you have ever tried riding at sunrise or sunset (in hopes of quieter trails & more temperate weather) Nuz?

In the summer here it gets very hot plus the winds usually start around noon & carry on until the evenings. I often ride at the crack of dawn to avoid the heat & wind.
I can usually ride 2 (on occasion 3) before noon, then I groom for an hour or so & do any other sweaty or dirty outdoor chores before I go in to shower, relax, & powerslam some caffeine. Afternoon naps are an option any day, bonus!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

In summer I do ride closer to sunrise and sunset, but so does everyone else. Everyone tries to beat the heat, including the construction workers. It's not any quieter. My biggest issue is that I don't have lighting in the barn -- just nearby, and I need to take a flashlight with me to make sure the horses are fed before I ride at sunrise. They get super grumpy and resistant if I try to ride them when they are hungry. Sunset rides are too close to dinner, so they keep trying to spin and run home to eat.

Tina said...

Wow...yea that would have been surprising to ride up on! I sure do love all your desert critter and flower shots!!