Wednesday, April 22, 2015

It's a Wild Life

Whenever our bread starts getting hard, I toss it over the railing of the porch.  I can throw half a loaf out like Frisbees and every single slice will be gone within the hour, but all the critters that take the bread are so stealthy that I never actually see them do it.  Yesterday I tossed a croissant out and then sat on the porch to work on my novel.  When I looked up, a ground squirrel was sneaking up on a bunny that was chewing on the croissant.  I waited to see what would happen, and the bunny shared the croissant with the squirrel.  I was so amazed that I got teary eyed.  Of course, as soon as I got up to go in the house to get my camera, they scattered.

When I returned with the camera, all the sharing had gone out the window and animals were fighting over the bread left and right.  The ground squirrel was now sneaking up on the bunny and biting it on the butt.  Birds were swooping down and pecking on both of them.

I threw out a few old burger buns to spread the joy around.  My camera battery died right when I was trying to photograph two squirrels, two rabbits, and a bird fighting over one bun.  It was hilarious watching these critters trying to drag the bun off away from the others.  Then another animal would pounce on it and a fight would ensue.  I ran into the house and got my other camera, but I couldn't get as close up with that one's telephoto lens without scaring them off.  These are a few of the shots I got with all the animals trying to steal the French onion bun from each other...









Here are the close ups I took with the croissant before the battery died on my point and shoot...





This next photo was taken from a really long distance.  There are two tiny baby bunnies living under my feed shed.  A couple of weeks ago they were small enough to sit in the palm of my hand.  I meant to get pictures of them, but kept forgetting.  Now they are probably big enough to fit in two cupped hands.  To give you an idea of its size, the baby bunny is sitting next to a 2 x 4" piece of wood...

The poor bunny lost some hair and maybe some skin on its side.  On my way into the house after feeding the horses, I heard a hiss, but didn't think anything of it.  Animals are everywhere, and their chatter has kind of become background noise to me.  When I reached the porch, I took off my shoes, leaned over the railing to dump the sand out, and looked down to see my buddy the Gila Monster right by the steps I just walked up.

Check out those claws!




Look at those little legs stretching to climb up that step.  How cute is that?

8 comments:

lytha said...

You think the monster is cute....*shudder* I prefer your furry creatures. How lucky you are that you can observe them eating what you feed them!

In this country people feed bread products to horses as much as we feed carrots. They insist that the bread be dried first (left on the radiators) but I don't think that matters. I remember when Baasha first arrived, he said, "Well, that's bread. Clearly human food!" but then he adapted and started eating it just like the German horses. The problem is, bakery bread doesn't have preservatives in it, so a loaf is never eaten before it starts to go bad. Good for the animals!

Mrs Shoes said...

Will the Gilas bite or attack you?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Mrs. Shoes - They are kind of like the rattlesnakes in that they won't chase you down, but if you step on them by accident or try to pick them up or reach into something where they happen to be, they have a crushing venomous bite. They are also a protected endangered species, which is one more reason why I don't want people trespassing, especially the ones with guns. I have quite a few GMs around my place and I don't want anyone hunting them, like the kids who shot a bunch of rabbits in my back yard last Thanksgiving.

Brenda said...

There must be something about your house...or you...that attracts the GM. Other than the smaller prey. Many people who are native to Arizona and live there their whole life never see one outside a zoo or reptile sanctuary and you have seen more than one and more than one time. I need to move to where I can see them more often. Lol. I think they are fascinating creatures and would love to see them more often. My single sightkng was in the early 2000s and was out by Saguaro Lake. Every time I go out looking for the wild horses I always keep an eye out for the telltale orange and black.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Brenda - I wish I could predict when I am going to see them, because you could come over and do a stake out with me, cameras in hand.

Brenda said...

That would be awesome. Unfortunately , you can't schedule their arrival although they might be more reliable than your farrier. ;)

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, I LOVE all your critters, even the GM! We used to have quail and roadrunners in our neighborhood, but a new development went in, and BAM! They were all gone. No coyotes here, either...although we did hear a pack of them a few weeks ago.
Take care! I'm counting the weeks until the end of school.
~Cheryl Ann~

achieve1dream said...

I LOVE these photos!!!!!! Watching them play tug of war with the bread must have been so much fun. :D