Saturday, April 4, 2015

Night Shots

One of the benefits of having to take dogs outside every few hours is that I notice the night sky.

I have an essential tremor, so I am always amazed when I can hold still enough to prevent ghosting and blurs while the lens opens up for several seconds.  I rarely have the time to set up a tripod when I see something worthy of photographing, so I have to be my own tripod by stabilizing my body and holding my breath.

This next photo was something I had to snap while moving the camera.  It was a plane flying overhead.  I tried to keep the speed at which I moved the camera to match the movement of the plane, and this was the result...

What interests me is the faint trail that dribbles off out of frame.  I am so glad that I am alive during the era of digital cameras, because they allow me to shoot anything and everything just to see what happens, and I don't have to worry about wasting film.  Also, because I tend to take pictures of seemingly impossible things, I've seen it all, and I can't be fooled easily by photos that people claim to be of ghosts or UFOs.  I can usually figure out what is causing the special effect.  That's not to say that I don't believe in ghosts and UFOs.

After snapping off a few photos, the moon disappeared completely behind a wall of clouds.

2 comments:

Stacey C said...

Pretty cool moon pics!

achieve1dream said...

Wow those are incredible! I especially love the first one!!

One night when my husband was driving me somewhere I started taking pictures of stars out the car window and got lots of cool light trail pictures like your plane picture. It's so much fun!