Monday, May 25, 2015

Oops, I Almost Did It Again

Oops, I almost stepped on a Gila Monster again.  It ran right in front of me when I was walking up the driveway.  I don't know why it is so hard for me to see a bright orange moving object that is over a foot long right in front of my face, but it takes me by surprise every time I nearly step on one.  It tried hiding between a rock and hard place...


We went around the corner to give it some space, and next thing we knew it was running toward the open bay of our garage...

My husband jumped in front of it to block it from getting in, and they had a showdown.  My husband was holding his cowboy hat in front of it, and the Gila Monster was rising up and hissing at him.  It then retreated and tried to hide in the corner of a closed bay to our garage...

Then my husband shut the open bay while I made sure that it didn't try to run in again.  Pretty much every animal that goes into our garage never comes out alive unless it has our help.  They usually just go into some impossible to reach crevice and starve to death.  We also didn't want it in our garage because we walk our dogs through it dozens of times throughout the day and night to do their business, and our dogs could easily kill it, and likewise, it could easily kill then.

You don't see me.  You don't see me.  You don't see me...

5 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow. Incredible photos, Nuzz. Especially of him running.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Thanks, Brenda. I always think of you when I post my GM photos. I know you enjoy them.

Brenda said...

Thank you. :) I think what strikes me so much about the one of him running up the driveway is because you caught him with so much motion...and his tongue is sticking out.

achieve1dream said...

How fast are they? They look like they would be slow but that's just my impression lol. Great picture! They are so cool!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

achieve1dream - They are slow moving when they are low to the ground, but once they get up on their tippy toes, they can run fairly fast. They can't outrun a human, though.