Saturday, May 2, 2015

Rock Got a Hair Cut

People keep asking me when or if I'm going to trim Rock's tail.  I've never had a horse whose tail is so thick and long that it drags on the ground, and I was enjoying it too much to cut it.  However, I gave him a bath in Pyranha shampoo to try to help keep the cannibals, I mean flies, off of him, and his tail got so long from the weight of the water that the poor guy couldn't back up or move sideways without stepping on it.  So, I gave in and trimmed it.  I had to take off about six-inches to keep it off the ground when he stands upright, but it still touches the ground when he cocks a hind hoof.



He couldn't stop yawning while I was photographing him with my mobile phone.  This horse can sleep through anything -- even a bath.

7 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

He does have a beautiful tail. I've got the same problem with Dusty. I've never had a horse with a tail so thick and long but I have to give in eventually and trim it. Otherwise, it would be dragging on the ground.

Katharine Swan said...

Rondo is the same way! I always thought Pan's mane and tail were thick, but Rondo's is so thick and long that it drags on the ground, which Pan's doesn't do. I never thought of the effect of a bath. I'll have to watch out for that when I bathe him this summer.

ellie k said...

In the last set of pictures with the jeans you can really see how long his tail was. it must collect everything from the ground. but it really is pretty, I guess handsome for a guy.

achieve1dream said...

Oh wow that shows how unobservant I am! I never even noticed his tail touched the ground. Wow it is so long and thick and gorgeous! I can't believe you were able to trim that much off and it still almost touches the ground. Wow! Rock's got nice locks! ;)

Mrs Shoes said...

I have the same issue with my Morgans - I bang their tails off just so they don't drag through the grass & underbrush collecting ticks (ticks do seem to love the tailbone best of all).
As a groom I (only) once banged off the end of a tail & got a blast because it was a race day - NEVER trim hair on a race day (horseman's superstition).
I was told a story that (waaaay back when) the Northwest Mounted Police (CDN) used to bang the end of their horse's tails because the natives had a superstition about cutting hair & it was thought that they were less likely to steal them.

Just think of all the show people who pay good $$ for fake tail attachments... maybe there's a business opportunity there (labour intensive though).

Linda said...

That boy can grow some tail! I don't trim tails very often either, but then again, none of mine grow tail like that. What are you feeding them?!?

fernvalley01 said...

Handsome bugger even yawning!