Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Unidentified Freaky Object

Lostine and I went for a spin on one of the most perfect trail riding days of the year.  Of course, as soon as I was ready to mount, a big truck had to come racing up the street.  It turned out to be FedEx.  It amazes me how a lot of people choose to live on dead end roads to avoid the problems that go along with traffic, and then the people who live at the very last houses on the dead end part always have to be running some kind of business out of their home that requires a dozen deliveries a day.  I had to deal with that at my last house and now I'm having to deal with it again.  Only this time the FedEx truck turned into my driveway.

Part of the reason why I wanted to go for a ride was to get away from hassles.  I received an email from someone claiming to be hearing impaired as an explanation for why she didn't call me, asking me to photograph a 5-hour family reunion on a specific date.  She didn't give a location, but asked if she could pay with a credit card.  Sounded like a scam to me, so I researched it, and I was right.  It was a scam aimed at photographers.  It seems I'm having to protect myself from con artists on a daily basis, and it's wearing me down.

Then I got our credit card statement and saw way too many charges for package deliveries, and I could only account for two of them.  Last month I found that my Amazon account was connected to a device that I don't own, so I deleted the connection.  I figured I'd compare notes with my husband when he got home before assuming that our account had been hacked.  At any rate, I was tired of worrying about who was stealing from us now, so I saddled up Lostine to get away from it all and here came this delivery truck.  I had to tie her to the trailer and head up to the house to see what was going on.  Oh yeah.  I forgot.  My daughter is in the process of moving, so she's using our address for deliveries.  Can't blame that one on the neighbors.

Once the truck left, Lostine held still for the mount, so we were able to ride right out without "training" setting the tone for the ride.  Instead, praise set the tone for the ride.  She kept eyeballing things on the ground that didn't exist and hesitating.

"What's the matter, old girl?"  I asked.  "Is your eyesight failing you?"

She seemed quite alert and tense.  I figured she still hadn't gotten over her run in with the power company, and urged her on.

It was very peaceful on the trails.  We came up to the top of this ridge and some movement caught my eye.  I looked up to see this white, rippling funnel extending up into the sky on the horizon.  It was huge.  I blurted out, "What the heck is that?"

Lostine got even more nervous and started running around like a pinball bouncing off of bushes and rocks.  I got her settled down and took a closer look.  It appeared to be a whirlwind, but the color wasn't right.  Whatever it was, I was praying that it wouldn't come straight at us like these rogue winds always seem to do when I am working with or riding horses.

Then the funnel began to arch and before I knew it, I was looking at a white rainbow.  It was so surreal.  My reaction was visceral, I can only compare it to taking a quiet hike and looking up to see an elephant standing in my path with no noise to warn me of its presence.  I think it's fair to say that most people would crap in their pants.

Then logic took over and I realized that this huge white arch was over the firefighter training facility, and therefore had to be water spraying from a fire hose.  I relaxed once I knew this was not another new-to-me weather phenomenon that was going to overpower me.  The water disappeared from the skyline and we marched on.

I had forgotten all about it until we reached another part of the desert that was much closer to the firefighter training facility.  We were approaching a pole and sign that had fallen on its side, and Lostine pitched a fit over it.  I was trying to prevent her from spinning and running, and with some reassurance, I got her to approach it.  Once she realized it was just one of those stupid signs and poles, she stopped right next to it to itch her leg.  Then we rose up over a hill and I looked up to see that water spray towering above us.  It was as tall as some of the buildings in downtown Phoenix and it wasn't making any noise.  Even though I knew what it was, Lostine didn't, and she hadn't spotted it yet.  She was too busy focusing on rocks on the trail to look up.

I started thinking about her reaction to a fallen sign that she had ridden past many times before, and then thinking what her reaction would be when she finally spotted this huge water spout in front of us, and I decided that I didn't want to find out how she was going to react.  I just turned us around and kept the freaky stuff behind us.


Lostine was none the wiser, so she can keep her innocence a little longer.

5 comments:

TeresaA said...

I think that you made a very good decision!

Cheryl Ann said...

Clever girl (you...AND your horse!)...

Crystal said...

Sometimes that is the best strategy

fernvalley01 said...

Would be cool to see! But I think for your sake and Lostine's arthritic self discretion was truly the better part of valour

achieve1dream said...

Lol sweet innocent Lostine! I would have turned around too. :-)