Monday, June 1, 2015

Around the Ranch

The horses are still in the process of shredding each other's old fly masks.  The boys have figured out how to remove Gabbrielle's mask fairly easily because they chewed through the double Velcro enclosure and got it down to one strap, but my husband unintentionally threw them for a loop the other day when he put Bombay's fly mask on Rock, Rock's fly mask on Gabbrielle, and Gabbrielle's fly mask on Bombay.  He wasn't familiar with which mask belonged to which horse, so he apologized and said, "It's probably a mess out there."

He got Lostine's mask right.  One out of four ain't bad.  I caught Bombay and Gabbrielle trying to figure out how to remove them under those circumstances...



I startled to see that final two feet of a snake slither under the Lantana.  It registered in my brain that this snake was black and white, which meant it is a non-venomous king snake.  I love it when I can get pictures of king snakes, but this one just wouldn't come out from its hiding spot...

I left it alone and a short time later a pack of coyotes showed up in our back yard and began whooping it up.  I was worried that they had found the king snake and were going to eat it, so I ran outside and chased the coyotes off.  I spotted something moving in the Lantana.  It turned out to be that kangaroo rat that comes out at dusk...


4 comments:

Crystal said...

Funny, lucky he got them on right, my husband wouldn't know how its a good thing mine has ears ;) That's a neat snake, do you have lots of them around?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Crystal - I wish I had more, but I only see king snakes once every couple of years, and they are so elusive.

ellie k said...

You might have to use the sling shot on the coyoye to let them know where they can and cannot be aroung your ranch. The fly masks was cute. A surprise for the horses. Maybe something safe but tastes bad would discourage the chewing on the masks.

achieve1dream said...

Kangaroo rats are so cute. That snake is pretty too.

That's funny that your hubby mixed up the masks and the horses couldn't figure it out hehe!