Monday, June 15, 2015

Full Circle in the Lost and Found

It seems that life has been coming around full circle for me lately.  I'm an odd person, because I see patterns in events that happen to me and marvel over how we could probably create mathematical equations and geometrical maps that would mirror the events that take place in our lives.

You may remember how while I was out trail riding one of my horses, we came upon their toy ball in the desert.  I retrieved it from the bushes and returned it to the horses.  Then that same ball went missing, so I hiked, mountain biked, and rode my horses all over our property and out in the desert in search of it, but never found it.  I gave up on it and asked for a new horse ball for Mother's Day and got one.  I've been keeping a close eye on the new one, hoping to solve this mystery of why they keep disappearing.

Then my neighbor hired me to do a real estate photo shoot of her property.  At the last minute, I thought it would be a good idea to get a shot of this vacant lot they own.  While wrapping up that shoot and walking away, I looked over my shoulder and lo and behold, there was my horses' old beach ball sitting in some bushes.  My neighbor retrieved it for me, and it was practically destroyed by teeth and claw marks.  So, now I am leaning in the direction of believing that the coyotes are stealing the balls, and not human trespassers.  If that is the case, all I need to do is toss the balls as far back into the horse paddock at possible where the coyotes can't get in.  If the balls are in the barn, they can probably slip under the gates and snag them, but I don't think they will go all the way to the back of the paddock where they would be trapped by fencing.

I'm just so happy to get that ball back, even though it is destroyed.  At least I don't have to keep looking for it every time I am out trail riding.  I've found closure.

Before the photo shoot, I was planning on wearing tall boots, because I know that the snakes like to hang out where there are no people, and this house and yard have been quiet for a while.  But I also knew that I could be on my feet for several hours, so I decided to leave the heels at home and wear sneakers.  I'd just be careful where I step.  I saw some lizards, but no snakes.  Then I wanted to go back and do some quick shots I just took, but with a different camera.  I had already taken up a lot of the client's time, so I was rushing from one location to the next, and I forgot to keep an eye out for snakes.

You can probably guess what happened.  I was running down her barn aisle with my camera and did a leap in mid-air over a snake that had poked out from behind a bucket.  I screamed and whipped around to find out if it was venomous or not.  I didn't recognize its head, so I looked at its tail.  No rattle.  Then I thought, "Duh!  Take a picture of it."

But right then it turned around and raced off.  Watching it move, I knew it was a Red Racer sidewinder.  Non-venomous.  Very cool.  I wish I thought faster and was able to get a picture of it, but those things are fast.

The other weird thing has to do with the ties we use to hold our stall gates open.  If we don't tie the gates open, the horses will swing them back and forth and make a banging racket.  The mares also will close themselves into a stall, and then the geldings will pull up the handle and lock them in.  I had been using tarp ties with the hooks on the ends, but I had to be careful to hook them underneath the railings, because otherwise the horses would try to itch themselves on the hooks and either lose their tail and mane hairs on them, or stab themselves on the hooks.

I forget to tell other people who visit the barn to make sure that the hooks face downward, and one day a guest left them facing upward and I didn't notice, and Rock ended up getting an unintended nose piercing.  I said that we really need to get rid of these tarp ties and find some other solution that the horses can't hurt themselves on.  I found a strap that had torn off an old hay bag that had a clip on one end and a metal loop on the other.  That was a good solution, but we only had one and I needed two.  I could have made another one, but it just never was a priority with everything else going on.

Then the other day the vet and equine dentist came by to do some annual work on the horses, and I told them the story of the burglar in the white pick up truck who keeps coming around and stealing stuff out of people's yards.  We think he was back the other day trying to hit on my other neighbor's house when he wasn't home, because my husband scared a guy off who came racing out of our neighbor's driveway in a white pick up truck and accelerated so hard on the dirt that he fishtailed.  It didn't look like anything was missing.  Anyway, the dentist asked if he's stolen anything from us, and I said, "No, we don't have anything worth stealing."

Some time later I noticed that the dentist was kicking around the good strap I used to hold open the gates.  I thought he was just kicking it out of the way, but I guess he was trying to figure out if it was a part of his equipment.  Apparently, he decided it was a part of his equipment, because after they drove off, I went to tie open the gates and couldn't find my favorite strap.  I thought it was odd that he'd just take it without asking me if it was mine, especially since he didn't recognize it as being his.  Perhaps his assistant did it absent-mindedly when packing up?  Oh well, lesson learned.  Don't let my stuff co-mingle with other people's stuff.  So, I had to go backwards in evolution and grab another tarp tie with hooks.

I was bummed because that strap fit my railings so perfectly.  However, it's not worth calling him up and making arrangements to get it back.  The man doesn't live anywhere near me.  Ironically, I realized that we do have some stuff that we wouldn't want taken away from us.  I just never thought it would be of enough value to someone else that they'd walk off with it.

Next thing I knew, my husband came home from the hardware store with some rope and parts to make tie straps minus the hooks with sharp points.  He wanted to take care of this problem once and for all.  Sometimes a problem just has to keep on getting bigger before we make it a priority, but it's looking like we won't have to worry about the horses getting body piercings anymore.   Now I've just got to talk with them about those tattoos...

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Always something with the horses. Glad you found a solution, I don't like open gates either. I got on in the corral leading to the water and it doesn't swing all the way back to the fence just 90* and so somehow everyday one horse is locked in and another on the other side. Its a chain so they can't get locked in but if its closed they might as well be cause they will not push it open...which I shouldn't complain about but its frustrating to find them whinnying cause they are stuck on the wrong side of the gate.

HHmstead said...

I hesitate to ask where you live? :-) Desert for sure! Snakes? Not! Too funny reading your post though - so similar to the way I obsess about lost "things"!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

HHmstead - Central Arizona.

achieve1dream said...

What?? Why would he take the strap?? Maybe he thought it was trash and he was helping by cleaning up... I bet he threw it away... Ooh will. I'm glad your hubby fixed the problem for you. :-)

Alright now! Which horse wants a tattoo?? I need to have a talking to with him or her! Only racehorses can have tattoos hehe!!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ahhh, life is irony. Apparently, the dentist figured out that the strap belonged to a hay bag, so he attached it to one of the hay bags I had hanging in the barn. I just found it tonight. It was totally camouflaged there. I'm surprised I saw it at all. It could have hung there for years and I wouldn't have seen it.