Sunday, June 28, 2015

Storm Damage

I went out to feed the horses yesterday evening and noticed that it was starting to get a little windy.  Normally, I remove the horses' fly masks as I lock them into their stalls, but thankfully, I forgot that step of the process.  By the time I got done cleaning up manure and passing out hay and grain, sand was blowing in my eyes, so I was glad that the horses still had their fly masks on to protect their eyes.  I looked off onto the horizon and saw a wall of dirt coming our way.


In this next shot, there is a balloon or some other kind of debris flying in front of the haboob...

The horses were very agitated by the sudden bursts of wind...

Everyone was getting pelted by debris.  I got smacked in the face by a leaf and it stung quite a bit.

I ended up opening all the stall gates to allow the horses more room to run should something large come flying at them.  A tumbleweed blowing across the street...

All that haze is just dirt blowing.  I was getting set up to take a video of the trees swaying and bending, and then my camera battery died.  We went indoors to get out of the line of fire and our furniture began collapsing and blowing around our porch.  I was worried that the wind would blow a chair right through our window, so I tried to go out the backdoor to gather the furniture, but the wind was pushing into it so hard that I couldn't get it open.

Right about then, the electricity went out.  That meant no air conditioning, no ceiling fans for us or the dogs, no flushing toilets, and we had to dip into our emergency water supply.  We also had to eat anything in our refrigerator that would go bad if it were not kept cold.  Of course, we had just bought a ton of groceries the day before.  I wolfed down some tuna salad, but I don't think I got to it in time, because I've had a stomach ache ever since.

We went out the front door to gather the patio furniture, and then I found our doormat, which had been flung into our back yard.  After that I found our bird feeder laying on the ground.  Then I found one of my feed buckets and some paperwork over by the round pen.  Our dog poop depository tipped over, so I get to clean it all up again.  These are pictures I took the next morning...

Rubbermaid storage products do not withstand monsoon storms and haboobs.  In this next shot, we removed most of the loose stuff from the storage bin, and laid a wheelbarrow over the rest to try to keep the other walls from collapsing.  The missing door and roof are in our hay barn...

We also put our chairs in the hay barn...

After I picked up the feed bucket, I turned around to find my husband standing in the middle of this, trying to hold it up...
I stood on the left side and tried to hold the wall up so that the entire shed wouldn't collapse on him while he tried to put the pieces back together, but it was impossible.  The wind was blowing so hard that we decided to just let the thing blow over and deal with it later.
It was hard digging through all that mess to get to the grain in the morning...

The roof and floor held together alright, but if we get it back in one piece, we'll probably have to add in more metal bars along the walls.  This shed was a temporary solution to storing grain.  We figured that if it didn't make it through monsoon season, we'd have someone build us a real shed that can withstand 100 mph winds.
Branches broke off three of our trees.  This was the branch our bird feeder had been hanging from...

A branch on our roof...


This Palo Verde tree loses limbs pretty much every time the wind blows...

We were without electricity for a little over two hours.

I had picked out a print book to read next, but had to switch over to reading a book on the Kindle since the ebook reader supplies its own light.

5 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

Oh, my! That was quite a haboob! We were in Scottsdale one time when a microburst hit at the hotel. A guest was injured. Thank goodness you are all okay.
Cheryl Ann

Crystal said...

Wow that's quite a windstorm! yuck will be a while cleaning that up

Jen said...

We got beaned awhile back by straight line winds - scary how fast that stuff comes up. Glad everybody was okay, but a bummer about your grain storage. :oP

Mrs Shoes said...

Holy cow! Must be terrifying for the horses, & MIDGE!! Poor critters.
Sorry you have such a mess to clean up but glad no one was hurt.

achieve1dream said...

Wow!! I can't imagine dealing with frequent wind/sand storms! That's a lot of damage. :-(