Friday, July 31, 2015

In the Blink of an Eye

The morning was bright and sunny, and I was hungry, so I suggested that we go out to eat.  My husband wanted to run an errand after we ate.  While we were in the restaurant, we noticed that the sky was getting dark, and some people came in saying that there were really bright lightning flashes over the mountains.  I suggested he drop me off at home before running his errand, because I figured our Corgi Midge would be flipping out if there was rain and thunder, and I didn't want her destroying the house.  We were too late...

I'm embarrassed to say that I meant to unpack that box of light bulbs when we moved three years ago, but kept forgetting -- until now.  Midge kind of unpacked it for me.  Amazingly, she didn't break a single light bulb.  It's odd how she is attracted to anything related to electricity during storms.  She rips electrical cords out of outlets and attacks anything that makes a hollow noise.

Our biggest loss was my husband's iPad.  She had locked herself in the bathroom, knocked over all the shelves, shredded toilet paper rolls and books, and broke the screen on the iPad.  I keep forgetting that we need to set aside several hundred dollars every summer to pay for all the damage the dog does during thunder storms.

The sad thing is that the worst of the storm hadn't even hit.  It wasn't even raining.  She just sensed the storm coming and went nuts.  My husband left to run his errand, and then it hit:  Pouring rain, thunder, lightning, 50 mph winds blowing the rain in horizontally.  8,000 people in my community lost power, several streets are closed due to downed power lines, and some mobile homes were blown off their foundations.

The drainage ditch my husband dug with the Bobcat did its job and, though there was still water in the barn, the barn was not so severely flooded that it will take days to dry out.  The irony in all of this is that the errand my husband had to run involved buying the straightest 2x4 of wood he could find to help level the ground for the new shed, and of course as soon as he got it out of the store to load in the truck, it started pouring rain.  So, I'm sure that 2x4 will be warped by morning.  At least I don't have to wash my truck this weekend.  Between the pouring rain and high winds, it sort of went through nature's car wash.

5 comments:

TeresaA said...

Poor Midge. Poor you! I would prefer she broke the lightbulbs and saved the iPad.

Cheryl Ann said...

We drove up and down 395 to spend 2 nights in South Lake Tahoe (drove through Gardnerville, up the grade) and our black lab apparently HOWLED while we were gone and somebody filed a complaint with animal control! Hubby had to call them and tell them we are now home for the summer. She howls when we leave. I even left her 6 beef bones! OYE VEI!

Cheryl Ann said...

We had a horrific thunderstorm here Thursday night. There was a microburst in town, just a few miles from us, which downed telephone poles, power lines, and huge trees. It also tore the roof off some homes. Crews are still cleaning up. I was outside when the thunder started and it was so loud I screamed and Ripley clawed at the front door to get inside (my black lab). She's never been bothered by thunder before this storm.

ellie k said...

Sounds like your husband is feeling better, that is good news. Sorry for the mess but I guess you get used to it, how we love our pets and put up with the things they can do.

achieve1dream said...

Yikes! Scary sounding storm!

It's weird how she's attracted to electrical stuff. Normally it's opposite. They are normally attracted to toilets and tubs because it grounds them. It's the static that bothers them. Have you tried putting her in the tub to see if it will discharge her? It's frustrating dealing with storm phobic dogs.