Saturday, July 4, 2015

Photo Opps

I finally uploaded some pictures I've been taking around the ranch.


 I saw what looked like drool coming out of the sun's mouth, but upon blowing up the image, it's a dead baby bird and some bird poop.


A deer skull washed down the arroyo.


My husband and daughter put the shed back together after it had been blown apart by a haboob.  We are in the process of designing a bigger, more sturdy shed that should withstand winds of 96 mph.  The new shed will serve as a tack room as well as grain storage.  When we first moved here, I just used the tack room in the horse trailer and some storage bins to hold the grain...

...but the sun destroys the grain bins pretty fast, and trying to dig through the tack room in the trailer is like walking through a field of land mines.  There is stuff all over the floor as well as hanging on the walls.  The new shed will have shelves so that I won't have to set everything on the floor, as well as hooks and saddle racks.

Oh, and I got a new hat.  It's just a cheapie, so if the wind blows it away it's no big deal, and it's made of palm leaves, so it can get wet.

We're battening down the hatches for Midge's reaction to the fireworks and for the next storm.  We had a lot of thunder the other night and I was woken by a crashing sound.  I found that Midge had locked herself in the bathroom and knocked over everything that wasn't anchored down.  Apparently, she also chewed up some rolls of toilet paper.  Fun fun fun.

8 comments:

Jen said...

Nice photos (though maybe not so much the carnivorous sun - eek ;o) Glad your shed was fixable to use while you build the new and improved version. I have discovered that the older I get, the more important shelves are in my life. I've started referring to my birthdays as "The Annual Moving of the Ground" since it seems to get farther and farther away each year. I'd laugh at that, but I'm not entirely sure it's all that funny....

Love the hat!

Crystal said...

I like that hat. I have a palm leaf I just love but its a tad big for me :(

TeresaA said...

That sun picture is freaky.

A shed is a good idea. Working out of the bins and the trailer would have driven me batty.

Love the hat.

and--- what's a haboob?

Cheryl Ann said...

I was outside watching the city's fireworks show last night and hubby was dozing in his car. When they started, our black lab tried to crawl up into his lap! Fireworks never bothered any of our shepherds, but Ripley hates them!
Cheryl Ann

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

This turned out to be the best 4th of July yet. Going to the vet the week of the fireworks and getting a fresh prescription of anxiety pills for Midge did the trick. With that and the TV volume cranked, the slept right through all the booming.

A haboob is a violent dust storm. It's like a tidal wave of dust driven by high winds that completely covers multiple cities. If you haven't seen one, Google photos and videos of it. There are so many weather phenomena I wasn't aware of until I moved to the desert.

Grey Horse Matters said...

The new shed should really be a big help. I even used to hate using the trailer tack room at the shows. There's just no room for really organizing stuff.

Love the hat!

Janice Grinyer said...

You are looking good in that hat!!! Summer, even one as chaotic as yours lol, is looking good on you!

and I use my tack room in my trailer too...no out buildings yet, so the mud room is an electic mashup of pretty cabinets, dirty saddle blankets and bridles with horse drool lol

xox

achieve1dream said...

Yay for a calm fourth of July! I'm glad they slept through it. :-)

Love the pictures! I'm glad the shed was fixable. Love your new hat too!