Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A Rough Night

Another storm rolled in last night.  The wind, rain, lightning and thunder seemed to appear out of nowhere and one television station let the news coverage of the storm take over the regular programming.  They were tracking the speed of the storm, announcing that it was hitting my area hard, and then letting residents in other cities know how many minutes it should be until the squall line should hit them.

This was the second storm to hit us in twelve hours, and there were power outages in my area in both cases, but my house only experienced short power failures and problems with the satellite dish.  I rolled up the garage bay to take the dogs outside and it looked like lightning was hitting the ground all around us.  It was blinding.  Flash after flash after flash.  I just shut the garage door, turned around, and told the dogs to help themselves to some dark corner in the house, because I didn't feel like dying that night.

Once most of the storm passed through, I went out with a flashlight to check on the horses and found that our Rubbermaid shed was blown to bits.



Our new shed held up just fine, though...

The dogs and I didn't get to sleep until after midnight, which is a late night for me, especially since I needed to get up by 5:30 AM to get all my chores done before an 8:00 AM appointment.

In the morning I looked outside and realized that something was missing from our back yard.  We seemed to have a clearer view of the horse paddock.

This tree seemed to be a lot more... sparse, but I didn't see any branches underneath it.  Then I looked off to the side and saw the rest of the tree...

I think the storm damage improved our view, but I will miss watching the birds that roosted there.

6 comments:

Brenda said...

Wow. Bummer about the Rubbermade shed and tree, but I'm glad the new tack room survived intact. We didn't get any damage over by us...just my sanity as I sat wide awake, much later than usual, until it was over.

Camryn said...

Wondered about you when I saw what hit your area on the news. I'd be sending photos of that shed to Rubbermaid.

Mrs Shoes said...

I'm glad you've written about your experiences with the Rubbermaid shed (they look so nice); I've been tempted, but you have firmly convinced me that a high wind area is no place for Rubbermaid! ;-)

Linda said...

That's awful! Poor tree! We have lots of horrible heat up here this year, but the winds haven't been too bad. I bought 6 black eyed susans yesterday though, and before I could plant them, 5 almost died. We have "withering" heat.

ellie k said...

I think you should send those pics to rubbermaid. They should at least give you something. We have had some terrible storms here this summer, we are the lightening captial of the world. A number of people get killed here every year.

achieve1dream said...

Yikes that's some serious wind! Were you able to put Humpty Dumpty (the shed) back together again??