Monday, August 10, 2015

Got a Little Horse Time

P.S. came over to play with Gabbrielle.  We didn't have any plans other than to try out a plastic bag desensitizing exercise with Gabbrielle and to get caught up on what has been going on with each other.  It was cloudy and "cool" enough for a ride.  With Rock being lame and Bombay being a disrespectful clown who needs to go back to square one with his training, that left us with just the two mares to ride, and Lostine has made it clear to me that she does not want anyone riding her beside me, so P.S. had to ride Gabbrielle.  Not a whole lot of options.

I thought Gabbrielle would be okay, but she started freaking out.  We didn't know why exactly.  She was jumping sideways and eyeballing something to her left.  Could've been a problem with her tack or a bug on the ground.  I did see a horse fly nearby.  Who knows?  P.S. dropped the stirrup against her side a few times for good measure, but something like that shouldn't have startled her, nor the lead rope dangling by her leg.  If we knew what the horse was reacting to, we could work with it, but this was a bit of mystery.  Perhaps she was being reactionary after the plastic bag desensitizing.

In the meantime, Lostine was having a stand off with a ground squirrel.  I'm not kidding.  This big fat ground squirrel ran in front of us, stopped, stared at us, and then began advancing toward Lostine's feet in an aggressive way.  I said, "What are you thinking, squirrel?  You can't eat a horse.  Stop that."

It would stop and look at me, then start to charge us again and I'd say, "No!  You can't eat my horse.  Go away!"

It finally thought better of its actions and disappeared down a hole.  I suppose it could have been rabid.

Lostine was doing her fast, jerky movements that she does when you ask her to do something and she's nervous.  When she hasn't been ridden in a while, she goes into panic mode and tries things like sitting down or pretending like she's going to collapse.  I know her so well that I know how to adjust my body in slight ways to block her from pulling off those maneuvers.  Once we got out on the trails, she settled down and just did her job of carrying me without a fuss.

It was nice to be on a horse's back, even though it was only for a short while.  We probably should have ridden first thing in the morning when it was cooler, but we wanted to start with groundwork since the horses have been barn ornaments all summer.


P.S. was kind enough to help me get the dreadlocks out of my horses' manes and tails.  We broke out the Cowboy Magic and Mane & Tail detanglers and got to work.  Both the horses and I feel so much better.  She offered to help around the ranch with chores since I've had my hands full lately with all the illnesses and injuries among humans, horses and dogs.  I'm barely handling it, but am happy to know I have a resource if I get too overwhelmed.

I'm going to go play with her horses in a few days and see if there's anything I can do to help her out should she need assistance in the future.  I'm looking forward to hugging her sweet horse again and meeting her father's new horse.  One word:  Buckskin.  My heart goes pitter-patter whenever I see a buckskin.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Yay a ride :)

achieve1dream said...

Your horses are so silly. The ground squirrel cracked me up. I'm glad she came out to help you. I can't imagine untangling that many manes and tails hehe.