Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Happy Days are Here Again

I did manage to get hay from my favorite supply company that backs it right into my hay barn without me having to lift a finger, break a sweat, pull a muscle, or die of heat exhaustion.  They brought 64 bales, but told me that my barn could easily fit 72 or 80 if I want to make it last a bit longer to avoid the high hay prices and shortages at other times of the year.  That will also help me avoid having to always clean out the pallets and rake out the barn on the hottest days of the year.  So, note to self:  Order a larger squeeze next time.

This order cost me $15 a bale.  I like to track the prices as they change.

There is this friendly large lizard who has been living under the old hay stack, and he got displaced when the hay got low and we cleaned the pallets.  This morning he ran into the tack room, and then ran out when I started to close the door.  He's not too concerned about people.  He was on top of the pallets when the truck was backing the block of hay onto them.  I was worried he'd get squished, but he had the sense to run out of the hay barn just as the block was being lowered on top of him.

I was just thinking the other day that my horses have been so calm lately, but the three Arabs tried leaping over the railings of their stalls when the truck showed up.  They started getting used to the loud engine, but then would panic each time the hydraulic arms made a hissing noise.  I tried to calm them down by talking to them and telling them they are okay, but they were mentally checked out, so the truck driver drove all the way up the driveway to the side of the house when he was done to help the horses settle down.

Bombay got a bump on his cannon bone out of the ordeal.  He just kept running into the metal railings hoping to break them, and beating up his own shins in the process.  As soon as the truck driver left, they all immediately went back to being their usual, relaxed selves.  Note to self:  Next time open up the stall doors so that the horses can run to the far end of the paddock.  It's good to get the horses used to scary stuff, but not if their reactions result in injuries and vet bills.

You can see the one lone hay bale left over from the previous stack sitting off to the side.  I cut it a little too close this time.

1 comment:

achieve1dream said...

$15 a bale????? Is that normal sized bales of grass hay or is it alfalfa mix? That's expensive!! I thought our 8.50 a bale was high here. Ugh! I'm so glad I can feed round rolls. I'm glad you were able to use the good company again. It's so nice to not have to move hay. :)