Wednesday, August 19, 2015

What Automatic Waterer Do You Use?

The other night during our heatwave, I went into the barn to find five of the six water troughs empty, and the sixth one had been pooped in.  I had just filled all the water troughs the day before.  Of course, the trough with the poop in it was full to the brim, so I couldn't just tip it over and wash it out.  I would have to bail all that water out.

I was completely disgusted with the whole situation, and spent over an hour running between house and barn cleaning and filling each trough.  When all was said and done, Lostine promptly walked up to one trough and very intentionally pooped in it, clearly having no appreciation for all the work I just did, for the fact that I gave up watching my favorite TV show so that the horses could have fresh water, and for the fact that I was dying the entire time in the extreme heat.

My husband experienced my rage and suggested we get automatic waterers.  I've been looking at what is available and see several issues with them.  The affordable waterers are expected to be mounted to wood, and the hose comes out the side.  I have to mount the waterer on metal and need the hose to come out the back, because my horses cannot resist chewing and destroying anything within reach.  That means no floats and no paddles.  I need a waterer in which the horses can touch nothing except the water in the bowl.  If the waterer can sit on the ground, all the better, but I still have to anchor it to something or they will kick it across the paddock.  Also, we have no electricity and don't plan to put any in.

It looks like there are some that might fit my criteria if I'm willing to pay hundreds of dollars, but I don't like to pay that much unless I have recommendations.  So, what automatic waterer do you use?  Please describe it and tell me if you would recommend it to me under my circumstances.

9 comments:

lytha said...

thought of you today: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=868927163162203&set=a.153097338078526.50941.100001347819100&type=1

How Sam Sees It said...

Hi there! I'm catching up on blogs! My only concern with automatic waterers - points brought up by our vet a while back - is that a)it's not easy to spot when they are not working right and b)it's hard to judge if your horses are drinking enough. In the summer, I like to know exactly how much water my horses are drinking - I have them separated so it makes it easy for me. I know lots of folks that love them though!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

lytha - I love not only the Arizona is closer to the sun, but it is its own planet completely off the earth.

Sam - Hello there. Good points. I'd keep the water troughs, but the auto waterer would come in handy when I'm too hot or too sick to constantly be filling water troughs down at the barn. It'd think of it as a backup plan.

lilyrose said...

We have the big water troughs out in our turn outs, but automatic waterers in our barn. Ours are Rainbow Livestock automatic waterers. Had them for ten years now and they have been fine. Easy to clean and none of our horses have ever broken them. The only thing we've had to replace is the rubber plungers and washers. they are easy to replace. You can google the name and they have photos and explanations on their website. I would invest in these again if I needed to.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

lilyrose - Those look like they might work. The hose can come out the back, and they show various ways to mount them. Thanks.

lilyrose said...

Forgot to tell you that we have the corner mount ones. Hubby bolted them onto our pipe barn with no problems. Also the float in underneath the bowl where the horses can't get to it. There are finger holes that you can use to lift off the bowl to clean it. also I always stick my finger in to lightly press on the float just to make sure the water is coming in properly before I leave a horse in his stall. we do have electricity in our barn, but did not get the heated ones. Hope this helps.

ellie k said...

I wanted to tell you my husband passed away this morning. It was very peaceful but really sad. He had been in ICU for two days and along with the cancer he had a heart attack and then a stroke. He was so beat up there was just no hope, we let them disconnect everything and he slowly passed.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

ellie - I'm so sorry for your loss. Are your children there to help you through your grief?

achieve1dream said...

I've been following Ellie's story through her comments here and I am heartbroken for her loss. :( I don't know if she will see this, but I'm thinking of her.