Thursday, September 3, 2015

Satisfying

It has been a satisfying couple of days where it comes to making progress with the horses as opposed to being stuck sitting under a ceiling fan waiting for the weather to change.  Yesterday I managed to keep active down at the barn the majority of the time.  This is what my jeans and boots looked like by evening...

I was surprised that I was able to wear the same pair of boots all day without foot pain and blisters.  I didn't get so lucky today.  I went mountain biking while the horses ate their breakfast, and I found two more Mylar balloons left over from the graduation party in the desert last spring.  I guess some hikers thought it would be cute to attach one of them to a grave alongside a bridle trail.  I quickly snatched it up before one of my horses could spot it blowing in the wind while we are on a trail ride.

When the horses finished their breakfasts, I lunged all four of them.  You can't tell that Lostine is 27 years old.  She's the fastest of all my horses, and since she's low to the ground, she can take the turns like a motorcycle.

Gabbrielle hops like a bunny and curls her tail like a pig...

That doesn't make for a comfortable ride.  Bombay is really showing his age this year.  He's 17, but he's getting quite bony.  He's still as athletic as he was when he was younger, though...

Bombay didn't want to lope, so I had to break out the jug of rocks.  That got him going.

I shouldn't have saved Rock for last, because by then I was pooped out, and he knew it.  He just stood there while I cracked the whip at him...

I really can't go any faster than this, Mom...

I repeatedly shook the jug of rocks at him, and he completely ignored it, just like he was ignoring the long whip.  So, I threw the jug at his hind end, and he didn't skip a beat.  I picked it up and threw it in front of him, and he stopped jogging to go over and inspect it...

After a while, I was so fascinated by how bombproof he is that I didn't care that I couldn't get him to go any faster than a jog.  I kept chucking the jug at him and he could not care less.  If anything, he thought it was a new toy for him to play with.  If I merely, shake the rocks in the jug around Bombay or Gabbrielle, they take off at a gallop.  I haven't tried throwing the jug at them, but I have no doubt that they would try to jump over the railing if I did.  So, I've got to appreciate Rock, despite his laziness.  He may make a good parade horse someday if I can ever get him to stop gawking.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

He sure is different form you other horses, lol. But at least you got some work out of them, I turned mine out on pasture cause its getting colder and I'm training for a race and ya that's just excuses I'm just not riding much this time of year.

Tina said...

I take jugs and put broken up alfalfa cubes or horse cookies in them and throw them to the horses...oh boy does that keep them busy! Between that, jeans and huge ice cubes in their water. They would never play with a jolly ball though. I'm not sure why!

achieve1dream said...

LOL!! Rock cracks me up!!!!