Tuesday, October 13, 2015

On a Trash Hunt

After seeing so much new garbage show up in the desert overnight between taking Bombay for a hike one evening and riding Rock out the next morning, I hiked out there with my grabber stick, a trash bag, and some gloves to eradicate as much of it as I could.

First, I wanted to check out that new trail that seemed to lead to a secret hangout that I spotted while riding Rock.  What I found was evidence of a campfire...

Old rusted food cans and lids that could have belonged to a shepherd long ago...

But the bicycle tubes definitely did not belong to a shepherd.  Nor did the flip-flop...

There was an old article of clothing partially buried underground...

In retrospect, I probably should have dug a little deeper to make sure there wasn't a body underneath it.  There were logs to sit on...

Beer bottles and beer cans...

Hard liquor or wine bottles...

Broken glass everywhere...

And shotgun shells...

So, people probably go out to the desert at night, get drunk and then shoot their bottles.  Yay.  That's how my neighbor got his window shot out.

This is what I said out loud when I saw all that trash...

Further along I hit Newspaper Row...

And other party headquarters...

I must have picked up fifty pages of newspapers that were caught in bushes along the bridle trails...

This seems to be the house where they all came from...

Ironically, my neighbor and I used to call it "The Trash Can House" because the previous owners used to use their trash cans to block their driveway, so that drivers could not turn around on their property.

But despite all the trash, there was still a little bit of natural beauty left in the desert for me to enjoy...

I didn't take any water with me, because I only expected to be out there for about 15 minutes.  However, finding the old shepherd's camp got me wandering around in a different part of the desert.  I figured that I was closer to the Mylar balloon I passed while riding Rock than I was toward Newspaper Row, so I went half a mile in one direction to get the balloon, and a mile back to pick up all the newspapers.

By the time I got home, my face was red as a beet.  I looked at the clock and figured I must have been wandering around in the desert for at least two hours.  I made myself a pink bubble bath to help the muscle soreness and sunburn and I drank a huge tumbler of ice water.

1 comment:

achieve1dream said...

Yikes please be careful!! Take water even if you're only going to be out there a little while. Remember the guy and his grandson?? :(

That is a lot of trash!! So sad and disgusting... why is it so hard for people to be clean??