Monday, November 16, 2015

After the Rain

It has been raining.  I just noticed now in the picture above that there is a double rainbow.

I spent my rainy day reading Angels Three:  The Karen Perry Story by Landon J. Napoleon.

This tragic plane crash in the mountains near my home happened a few months before I moved here, but the community was still fresh from the trauma and many people I met mentioned it to me.  Today the burn marks are no longer visible on Superstition Mountain, but memorials have been erected to honor the six individuals lost.

This is a very engaging, well written story that serves as a reminder that we never really know the paths that others have traveled, and that is why it is so important to strive toward communicating from love and understanding.

I haven't read a book in a long time that I could recommend, but this one got me out of that rut.  I recommend it.  In some ways, I have so much to say about the story, about how it affected me, but in other ways, there are no words for what I feel.

In the aftermath, Karen Perry and her friends are operating a non-profit organization called 3 Wings of Life to help children in our community going through difficult times.  Part of this program involves equine-assisted psychotherapy, as Karen, like many parents of autistic children, learned that horses can serve as miraculous healers for those afflicted with autism, as well as other special needs.

3 comments:

Linda said...

I love the topic of horses as healers. I've had a couple bouts of anxiety related tachycardia, and one of the things that helps me is going out to the horses and spending time rubbing each one. Their calmness calms me. The books must be good if it left you so affected.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Linda - I'm enjoying my time down at the barn more. We had a cold snap that got rid of all the flies, so I was able to take the fly masks off. It's amazing what horses can communicate to us when we can see their eyes. Removing their fly masks during the day after 10 months of wearing them was like, "Oh, there you are, old friends. I haven't seen you in a long time."

achieve1dream said...

Beautiful pictures! I don't see rainbows often because of all our trees so thanks for sharing those.

I'll have to check out that book. I'm two books away from completing my reading challenge then I can go back to reading whatever I want. :-D