Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Escape from Holiday Prep and Pressure

Being a typical horse woman, I clean my barn more often than I clean my house.  I estimated that it will take two weeks of work to get the house clean and shiny by Thanksgiving, so I've been cleaning for a few hours each day.  I knew that by the time Thanksgiving got here, whatever tasks I did on those first few days of cleaning would need to be repeated, because dust and dirt build up fast around here, so I started out slow to get the majority of the tasks done closer to the eleventh hour.

However, in the back of my mind, a little voice was nagging me to work faster, because those two weeks aren't going to go as planned.  Sure enough, I received an unexpected phone call one night from someone who needed to set up an appointment with me.  I hemmed and hawed over a time, because I knew no matter what time I chose, it would end up being inconvenient for me.  But I didn't want to overthink it, so I picked a time.  Of course, that turned out to be the perfect time to go for a horseback ride and I regretted setting up the appointment.

I figured there would be time to ride later, but I steam cleaned the carpet, which led to more trouble.  The dogs were getting high on the chemicals, so I had to open up all the windows and doors to air the place out, which meant staying home for a few more hours.  The steam vac also left behind a bunch of wet balls of dog fur despite me just vacuuming beforehand, so I had to vacuum afterwards too.

I planned out in my head how I am going to spend the next week cleaning the remaining parts of the house and fit in a few breaks for trail rides, and just when I was feeling confident that I could do it all, someone asked me to do her a favor that requires me to sit at home and wait to do things on someone else's schedule for an entire day before Thanksgiving.  I felt like a bomb had gone off in my brain.

Of course, she picked the best day for trail riding, both weather-wise and schedule-wise.  Every time this lady asks me to do her a favor, I think, "Just this once.  I can be inconvenienced just this once, and she's on her own after that."

Then she asks for another favor, and I struggle to say no, because I'm empathetic to her plight.  But seriously, who chooses a day right before a major holiday to schedule something for someone else?  I guess she thought I wouldn't be busy preparing for guests?  If I don't get in a few horseback rides, I'm going to be very grumpy and burnt out by the time the holiday actually gets here.

Whenever I get overloaded with responsibilities and appointments, I tend to shut down and refuse to do any of it.  I also tend to run away.  I couldn't take having to do anymore cleaning, because I literally had blisters on my hands, and I didn't want to give this lady an answer until I cooled off, so I went down to the barn and asked for a volunteer to take a hike with me.  I didn't want to ride knowing how frustrated I felt and how sensitive my horses are to my moods.  Plus, I really need two hours of uninterrupted time to ride, because getting all of the tack and equipment together is half the battle, but I can take a horse for a quick walk and be back in half an hour.  I took my camera and did a quick photo shoot.


Bombay was fascinated with my long sleeves.  He kept nibbling them as we walked...

They're the color of carrots.  I don't have the opportunity to wear warm clothes very often around here.

Always posing proudly for his fans.

Bombay had one gigantic spook that shook the ground, and I was thankful that he didn't land on my foot.  I think the insides of this dead saguaro caught his eye and scared him.  It definitely stood out as an oddity.

This was the first week in a long time that my To Do List took up two pages of a lined legal pad.  Everything fell apart at once, so I have a lot of home repairs and sewing to do.  Also, we've run out of space to dump manure, so it's that time of year when we have to dedicate an hour each day to shovel manure out of the pile into the wagon, and dump it into the trailer.  Then on the weekends, we haul the trailer to the dump and shovel the manure out of the trailer.  It's better to have it happen in the cooler months, so at least one thing is going my way.

12 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Bombay looks very handsome. Glad you at least got out for a walk and away from cleaning for a while. Maybe that woman could ask someone else to help her out the day before Thanksgiving. That's just rude I don't care what her plight is. People need to have some common sense before imposing on others. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

GHM - Thanks. You have a nice Thanksgiving too. I went ahead and told her my situation with barely having enough time to prepare for guests, and then told her which days were best for me the week after Thanksgiving. Hopefully, she'll just find someone else to do it. This is one of those things I won't even do for myself, because it's such a headache and so time consuming. I know that Thanksgiving is a time for giving, but I feel like I've already given this particular person way too much. It's time I do myself a favor and say no.

ellie k said...

I wish I was closer, I could help you, my days are long nights longer. I am going to my daughters for Thanksgiving, I would like to just stay home alone but my kids think I need to get out and see people. I miss my husband so much, it is hard losing a spouce and best friend at the same time.

fernvalley01 said...

Handsome boy! Glad you got in a walk at least. I hope your Thanksgiving is lovely and stress free

Nuzzling Muzzles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Horseyhabit said...

Way off topic, but just checked on the off chance you were back, & here you are! I've missed your blog! :)

Horseyhabit said...

& by back, I mean public again... :)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Horseyhabit - Thanks for letting me know you are reading.

ellie k said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
achieve1dream said...

Can you not advertise locally for free manure? A lot of people haul it away here to use on gardens or flower beds.... I just realized how stupid of a question that is... You're in a desert.... Ignore me lol!!


I'm so glad I don't have carpet.. It's way more trouble than it's worth. I hope you all survived that ordeal!

I have trouble saying no too... It causes problems...

Bombay is so handsome!! What is the temperature there right now? It's been in the forties in the mornings here and I've been in short sleeves (because my boss keeps it 85 degrees inside so I dress for that instead of outside weather) which is unusual for me. I'm normally cold all the time. Maybe my thyroid is finally under control or maybe I've gained too much weight lol. Enjoy the long sleeves weather while it lasts!! I know I am! I'm not looking forward to anything colder than this though. Definitely not looking forward to the ice... I'll just enjoy this for now and not think about it lol.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

achieve1dream - The night lows are in the 50s and the day highs are in the 70s, but I think the past few days have been in the 60s. There are people who give away free manure around here, but I won't do it because I did it once and got stuck having to deal with a couple of men who were non-stop talkers and they took up hours of my time whenever they came by to pick up more manure. I also suspected that one of them was trying to pick up more than just the manure. It's faster for us to shovel and haul it ourselves than to deal with chatty people.

achieve1dream said...

Oh yeah I remember that!!! Yeah definitely easier to do it yourself than to put up with annoying people.

That's what our temperatures have been for a while now, but it's finally dropping. It is going to be below thirty one night this weekend!