Monday, December 21, 2015

A Nice Break

When we returned from our trip, we got thrown right back into our daily responsibilities and a few extras on the side we weren't planning on.  We were met with a credit card bill with a bunch of charges that were not ours, so I got to spend some time chatting with the bank's fraud department.  Now I have no credit card, so whatever I've bought for people for Christmas so far is all they get.  We also had some missing packages that I was expecting, so some people may not get their gifts thanks to lowly thieves.

Midge had a diabetic lapse while we were away and urinated all over my freshly mopped and steam vacced floors.  It takes a few cleanings to get the stickiness out.  I'm also running out of hay just in time for Christmas when all the suppliers are on vacation.  My new pair of reading glasses and driving sunglasses came in and I received two phone messages, two text messages, and two emails urging me to come pick them up, but I couldn't because I was out of town.  I had planned to pick them up today after my trail ride with P.S.

I rode Gabbrielle and she rode Rock.  This is how sleepy and pokey Gabbrielle was when following behind...

But once she got in front, she went on alert and did a bit of gawking...

Each time she turned her head to look at something, I gave the rein a tug to bring her attention back to the direction we were headed, and I didn't even bother to look to see what she spotted.  I wanted to communicate with my behavior that I did not care who or what was sharing the trails with us.  I just wanted to get to where we were going.  Once again, I forgot to practice neck-reining and went back to my two-handed process.

Isn't Rock's tail awesome?  Rock actually did spook on the way out at a hare that ran across our path.  Gabbrielle didn't spook, and she's my spooky horse.  The last time the trainer rode her, he asked if I had switched her out with a different horse because she was so relaxed and brave.  He deserves the credit for that because he's been riding her out alone a lot, which gets her confidence up.  She had been using buddy horses as a security blanket for a while there.

I laughed when I saw that my 60-second snapshots caught this moment...

Rock had just gone down into a ditch and was going up the other side.  If you look at Gabbrielle's right ear, she's pointing it toward home, which is the direction she was turning in so that she could avoid going down the steep rocky hill.  I said no no, and steered her back down the hill.  She's very good at going down steep slopes once you get her to agree to do it.  She walks and pays attention to where she places her feet, as opposed to just running right through it like the boys do.

This was funny...

Rock walked through the metal horse gate and then stopped so that Gabbrielle was stuck between the two poles.  She suddenly realized that she was in a precarious situation being trapped between two metal poles, so she began to back out of them.  But right then Rock moved forward, so she changed her mind and walked all the way through forward.

One problem I found on my credit card bill, besides the obviously fraudulent charges was that my dog salon had charged us for two full groomings when we only had two toenail trims done.  I called them to see if they would refund me the difference, and they told me to bring in the bill tomorrow.  Since the pet salon is right next to the optometrist's office, I decided to postpone picking up my glasses until tomorrow too.

Then I called for a hay delivery, and guess when it can be delivered?  Tomorrow.  So, tomorrow is going to be a very busy day.  I'm really glad that P.S. came over to ride with me.  It's always funner when you have someone to talk to.  Oh yeah, my mobile phone started ringing while I was riding, and the volume was cranked up.  Gabbrielle got a little disturbed by the noise, but didn't do anything dangerous.  I was glad I didn't have it on vibrate, because the outcome may have been a little different.  My trainer is always texting on his mobile phone when he rides her, so I'm sure she's been exposed to some ringing and dinging, but this ring was so loud it was even disturbing me.

Now I've just got to get Bombay out, because he's clearly bored out of his mind.  He's been doing all kinds of silly stuff lately.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Nice ride! Lucky you. The credit card fraud is a good reminder for me to go over our statements with a fine-tooth comb.

Brenda said...

Sorry about the credit card mess. I got hit last year and someone charged tickets to MLB games in Chicago and Oakland. Until it got straightened out I was paranoid they weren't going to believe I wasn't the one who'd bought the tickets. It "only" took about a week for it to get straightened out, but it was a nerve-wracking week.

I'm glad you can at least get a bunch of your errands done in one day. Let's hope the hay delivery happens at a convenient time for you.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Brenda - Amen to that!

Crystal said...

What is wrong with people, ugh what a mess with the credit card. But at least you got a good ride in to forget about it for a while.

achieve1dream said...

Sorry about all the sucky stuff!! I hope it was all resolved quickly.

I'm glad you got out for a ride with P.S. It is so much better with company! :D

Rock's tail is gorgeous!! Chrome's isn't down to his fetlocks anymore.... the goats don't eat it, but they walk behind him and hang their horns up in it... :( It's so short and thin now.