Sunday, December 20, 2015

Weekend at the Lake

My husband and I spent our 27th wedding anniversary at a ranch near Saguaro Lake.



While we were at the lake itself, we hiked around in search of the legendary wild horses, but only found manure.  We ran into a couple of motorcyclists from Australia who were looking for the wild horses too.  The horses like to graze on the grass and enjoy the shade provided by these crazy, twisted trees...


The lodge we stayed at had public stables that allowed walk-ins, but my husband can't ride until he gets off his blood thinners, so I just took pictures of the horses...

We got there at evening feeding time...


While I was taking these pictures, we heard a huge... er... explosion.  My husband's eyes got really wide and then the female ranch-hand burst out into fits of laughter, and that got me going too.  I said, "Horse fart!"


The majestic Bulldog Cliffs looked awesome behind the round pen...


There were stairs down to the Salt River...




The ranch itself was gorgeous.  We had the whole place to ourselves, which was a rarity.  The ranch is often booked up with company retreats.






The dam...

We went hiking to look for petroglyphs.  The owner asked us to check in with him when we got back so he wouldn't have to worry about us and call out search and rescue.  We were very well cared for, and since we were the only customers, we got to choose what the cook made for us for breakfast.


We found some!  We had a good time and hope to return closer to summer to go kayaking.

10 comments:

Crystal said...

That looks like a super cool place. And amazing you got to have it to yourselves, what a treat.

TeresaA said...

what a stunning place. Is it far from Phoenix?

Grey Horse Matters said...

Happy Anniversary! Looks like a really nice place. I've been to Saguaro Lake and Salt River it's really pretty there. Have a great Christmas!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Crystal - Yes, it was really nice.

TeresaA - Not far at all. It's just 15 minutes up the hill from Mesa or Fountain Hills. It's called Saguaro Lake Ranch, if you might be interested in vacationing there.

Grey Horse Matters - Thanks!

Linda said...

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful place to spend it. If you couldn't ride the horses, at least you got to be near them. I'd love to go there myself.

Brenda said...

Happy Anniversary! Bummer you didn't get to see the Wild Ones. I've never had any trouble finding them in the winter but apparently this year they've wandered further away than usual. If you go back as it gets warmer you might have better luck. Looks like you had a nice time regardless.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Linda - Thank you!

Brenda - Thanks. I know one time when I was driving, my son kept saying, "There's some horses. There's more horses..." but I couldn't pull over because of the crazy drivers.

Cheryl Ann said...

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful way to spend the weekend. That ranch is GORGEOUS!
~Cheryl Ann~

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Cheryl Ann - Thank you.

achieve1dream said...

Belated Happy Anniversary!!

Beautiful pictures of a gorgeous place! What a perfect way to celebrate your anniversary. :D