Tuesday, January 5, 2016

It'll Be Interesting

With all this rain we are getting, the future will be interesting, to say the least.  I've learned that the desert is very sensitive to variations in precipitation, temperature, and other weather related factors.  As the weather changes, so do the plants and animals that appear.  We are nearly mid-week in a week of rain, and we have smaller chances of rain for as far as I can see in the forecast thanks to El Nino.  I don't think I've seen this much rain since I lived in California.  In the Eastern Sierra Nevada, it was either hot, windy or snowing, but we didn't see a whole lot of rain.

The way things are going now, when I step outside, my hair and clothes get soaked all the way through.  May as well have someone pour a bucket of water over my head.  Even if I think I am just going to step outside "real fast" to do something, I have to remember to put on my coat or I will end up having to change into dry clothes so that I don't shiver to death.  Getting the dogs outside to do their business has been a challenge.

The earth is going to love all this moisture, and so far she is doing a pretty good job of soaking it up so that we don't have too much flooding going on.  Although, there is a pool in front of the barn.  Bombay looks like he took a dip in it because he's been dripping wet, but he's always been one to avoid puddles, so I suspect his drenched rat look came from Gabbrielle pushing him out of the barn into the rain.

Here are some photos I took of the wildlife on our last sunny day before all these storms moved in...

This bunny was trying to dig up something to eat.

I have a roadrunner friend now...
He likes to hang out around the manure pile and I never have my camera with me when I see him, so I set up a chair by the pile and waited.  I was just a few feet away from a place where a coyote likes to lay wait for the bunnies, and a few yards from a tree an owl likes to perch on, so I thought I had a good chance of capturing some other wildlife as well.

However, the animals seem to know that I'm waiting for them when I sit in a chair with my camera.  I have a better chance of them coming around when I'm busy doing chores.  I get zoned in on what I'm doing and the animals know that I don't pay any attention to them.  That's the way they like it.  I've noticed that when I'm doing barn chores, I'll look down and suddenly see 5 or 6 bunnies at my feet.  I have no idea when they showed up, but as soon as I look at them, they scatter.  Anyway, I just happened to see something move way off in the distance by my neighbor's fence.  I zoomed in and caught a glimpse of the roadrunner as he ran away from me.  If the sun ever comes out again, I'll carry my camera with me while I do chores and try to get a better shot.

Some other interesting birds...



Don't ask me what they are.

I got myself an appointment book to help me plan out my days down to the half hour, but so far I've used it more to record what I ended up doing as opposed to what I planned to do, and you know what?  I spend a tremendous amount of time out of each day cleaning up poop.  Hours upon hours of it.  So, when I made an X-box avatar of myself, I created a cowgirl looking down at the bottom of her boot because she just stepped in poop.  I thought it was fitting.

The other big time-sucker for this week is thrush treatments.  I'm trying to stay ahead of the hoof abscesses, but it's just so ridiculous trying to pick out hooves while standing in mud.  If I have to set the horse's hoof down to grab another tool, I just have to pick it out again because it immediately gets covered in mud.  I suspect that all my efforts are in vain, but at least I'm trying.

4 comments:

Linda said...

With all that poop removal, you must have an immaculate barn. The poop around here freezes solid and becomes almost impossible to remove until it warms up. Love the Roadrunner! You're lucky to have all that wildlife. Great photos.

Cut-N-Jump said...

The birds look like they may be cactus wrens. Pretty

Lots of rain and yes, lots of mud at the barn here too. Knock wood, no abscesses to speak of yet. Sometimes you have to take a "Devil may care" attitude towards it. Open them up to drain when they present, but otherwise leave 'em be.

Crystal said...

you had me laughing when you were saying roadrunner and then coyote...cartoons are running through my head. The bunny is cute, we got a bushbunny hanging around our house I sure like watching him :)

achieve1dream said...

I love roadrunners! All of the animals are cute and your pictures are so great!

I can't even imagine doing thrush treatments on four horses!!!!!! My back hurts thinking about it....