Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Third Day in a Row

OMG!  I don't believe I've trail ridden three days in a row since 2014.  Being holed up indoors for a long time makes you crazy like that.  Since Rock was such a turd about leaving the barn yesterday, I couldn't let him think that behavior got him off the hook today, so I had to ride him again.  This time I sprinkled in some magic ingredients called spurs, and he was on his best behavior.

I just can't leave anything out when Rock is around.  Here he's got my favorite brush in his mouth.  Yesterday he got a hold of my favorite water bottle.  I didn't realize that he broke and cracked it, so when I filled it up today and put it in the horn bag, it leaked water all over the bag and saddle pad.  Here he is after our ride messing with the water bottle again...

He kept knocking it off the tie rail with his nose and letting it splatter at his feet.  When I got all of his tack off, I poured what was left of the water over his back.  That seemed to be what he wanted.

Rock's shadow in this next picture makes him look so fat...

Note the water bottle on the ground beneath him.

This is where I have to keep an eye and ear out for go-karts, ATVs and dune buggies...

I thought this next picture was funny because the shadow shows that I had my heels down and was waiting for a flood...

Pit stop...

There's a really nice trail that runs up high along a ridge that no one has been using, so I've been taking it as much as possible to prevent overgrowth.  Unfortunately, the cholla cacti are starting to encroach on that trail.  Every time I have to ride in between cholla trees that are littering their spiky balls everywhere, I sit as still as possible and hold my breath, because I don't want Rock to interpret any shift in my weight to mean step right or left.  One small step to the side of the trail and I'll be going for a bronc ride.

Overall, the ride went really well with the exception of Rock running down into and up out of an arroyo after I specifically instructed him to walk.  He's kinda stubborn that way.  But he walked out faster and walked in slower, so some of those barn sour behaviors are improving.

My fitness data showed three spikes that lined up:  A difference in elevation, speed and heart rate.  That was when he ran through the arroyo.  The funniest part of the data was that I had forgotten to turn off the recording after I dismounted, and it recorded the fastest part of the session as being when I was walking around the barn!  I walk faster than Rock.

Whenever I go trail riding by myself, I text the word "out" to my husband.  Then when I get home, I text the word "home".  If more than a couple of hours pass between those two texts, he knows to start hunting me down.  Anyway, I had a typo in my message:  "Homr".

He texted back "Simpson!"

I texted back "Doh!"

4 comments:

Linda said...

You and I are about right on target with each other. 3 days! My husband and I also used to text each other when I'd leave and get back, when riding alone. It's good that someone has your back like that. Homr Simpson. Funny!

Crystal said...

Haha your hubby sounds a ot like mine, he would totally do that too.

Funny you walk faster than Rock, guess you aren't in a hurry to get anywhere when riding him. I like to see how fast (or slow) my horses walk it always different between horses.

fernvalley01 said...

hubby sounds like a card! Sounds like you and Rock have a nice partnership going

achieve1dream said...

LOL!! Best typo ever. Too funny!

I'm glad you got to ride three days in a row and Rock was better. :D That's so funny how he likes to play with the water bottles. Chrome is like that too. I think that's why he rubs his head on the tree because when I tie him there he doesn't have anything to play with. Our silly boys!

I can't help giggling that you walk faster than Rock!

The picture of his shadow is so cool! Fat little Rock shadow. :D