Friday, February 26, 2016

Tough Enough to Wear Pink

My husband and I attended the "Tough Enough to Wear Pink Rodeo" during the 2016 Lost Dutchman Days events.  The grandstands were packed.  There was little leg room in the bleachers, so we had to sit sideways and tuck our knees in to avoid sticking them into the backs of the people in front of us.

I had to do some maneuvering and photo cropping to keep the cowboy hats of the people in front of us out of the pictures.  But we enjoyed the rodeo despite the heavy crowd.  It was the most well managed rodeo I've ever attended.  They kept things moving along and always made sure that the audience was entertained while setting up for the next event.

They also had some wild mustangs and burros up for adoption.  These two were cheesing it up for the camera...

Actually, I think they sensed a mare or jenny in heat.  Or maybe they liked the smell of popcorn.

This next picture is for Christine and achieve1dream, since they are both big Friesian fans...

Pink, pink, and more pink...

Some rodeo queens and princesses...

The little gray Arab second from the right looked a lot like Gabbrielle, only it did a much better job than she would have moving cows out of the arena.

Drill team...

The calf won...


Breaking stuff in half with a long whip...

Whips on fire...



The clown crashed a quad through some barrels and rolled the entire vehicle on round roll bars while shooting sparks out the back end...




Butterflies on horseback...




His horse moved, probably because he got the reins caught over its ear, and he fell off...















We saw a lot of limping cowboys.  On the way out, my husband bought me a black felt cowgirl hat with a sparkly band, so now I can play the bad girl.  We've been a bit hat happy since living in Arizona.  You can't go outside without one to protect your face from the sun.

6 comments:

TeresaA said...

that looked like a fun day!

Linda said...

I bet the little girls liked the horse fairies. Rodeos are so fun...and strange. Makes you wonder who thought up all that stuff. Like, let's go out and ride a bull! I love a good rodeo.

ellie k said...

I really enjoyed the pictures, some almost came alive as I looked at them Thank you, as always I look forward to a new post from you.

Linda said...

Oh, and I would have definitely been a sucker and brought one of those wild burros home!

fernvalley01 said...

Great pictures! I love an outdoor rodeo

How Sam Sees It said...

I wonder who owned the Friesian? Thanks for the great photo!