Tuesday, April 5, 2016

A Beautiful Sight

Fresh hay!

While cleaning out the pallets to make room for more hay, I was taken by surprise to find two adorable rodents looking up at me.  I was bending over, so my face was just a couple of feet away from them.  I studied them for a minute, because I'd never seen anything like them before.  At first I thought they were baby bunnies, but then I saw that they had long, thin tails.  The faces were cute with over-sized ears, which  made me think they were mice, but they had such large bodies.  The rats I grew up with always had long bodies, small heads, small ears, and thick tails, so if this was a rat, it was a completely different breed from the one's I'm familiar with.  If it was a mouse, it was the largest breed of mouse I've ever seen.

I started moving a hay bale, and saw that there were several of them, and they were jumping up out from between the wooden slats of the pallets like porpoises, because I disturbed their nest.  We gave the time to find a new home before dragging all the pallets out of the barn.

I ordered 80 bales this time, because I want less deliveries.  It seems that I always run out of hay at inconvenient times.  I ran out at Christmas and was worried that everyone would be on vacation and all the stores would be closed.  This time it was looking like I was going to run out right when our next rain storm arrives, so I ordered early.  I'm guesstimating that if I don't sell a horse, I'll be due for more hay at the end of July, just in time for monsoon season.  I usually buy less when it rains a lot, so it doesn't get ruined.

The horses are so funny when the hay truck arrives.  They see it backing down the driveway, and they take off running out of the barn.  Then they see that it is hay for them, and they are visibly torn between running to the truck and running away from it.  Rock usually runs up to it and starts salivating.  Then once the hay is deposited, and the claws and arms start folding up again, he takes off running and bucking.

8 comments:

Linda said...

Nothing like fresh hay deliveries. It feels good to the horses and owners to see it coming. I'm like you, I always order more. I'd hate to run out and be in a bind. The rodents sound cute. I'm not an expert on what they could be.

Mrs Shoes said...

Could they be Pack Rats, maybe Nuz?

redhorse said...

Pack rats?

TeresaA said...

could they be Kangaroo rats? they live off seeds and the hay would drop a bunch.

Katharine Swan said...

Were they pack rats? I found one at my barn a couple of years ago too. pack rat cuteness!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Yup. They were pack rats. I always thought "pack rat" was just a term for people who collected stuff.

Crystal said...

Oh new hay, Love that :)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Well, two of the pack rats are already dead. I found their shredded bodies in the barn. Thanks, ravens. At least they didn't drop them in the water troughs this time.