Monday, May 2, 2016

After the Rain

I love it when we get rain and increase the water table, but the day after is always a challenge between the mud, the ATV riders who come out when they can avoid kicking up dust, and all the biting and stinging creatures making a break for it from their waterlogged locations.  Yesterday morning I noticed that my little dog Stewie had a lump on the side of his cheek.  My first thought was that he had an abscess.  I figured I'd take him in to the vet on Monday.

Old photo.  Don't bother looking for the swelling.
A short time after that, the lump was twice that size and now his eye was swelling up.  I recognized that he was having an allergic reaction to something and gave him some Benadryl.  Fortunately, the vet had just told me what amount to give him based on his tiny size in case he had a bad reaction to his vaccinations, which he did.  A short time after that, his ear was bent and he kept trying to scratch it.  Then when he began limping, favoring the leg on the opposite side of the side of his face that was swollen, we went into panic mode.  We began scouring the Internet for vet hospitals that were open on Sundays.

By the time we found one, I could see that his first swelling on his cheek was shrinking.  I decided to just monitor his condition for a while.  He wasn't having trouble breathing, but the antihistamine was making him cold, so he was shivering.  A few hours later, everything cleared up.  I believe he had a fire ant or a few fire ants crawling around on him biting him, and had an exaggerated reaction to the bites.  My husband says that his fire ant bites hurt for months.  I hurt for about three minutes after getting bit, and then there's no trace.  Needless to say, we're dealing with the ants so this doesn't happen again.

I had a dream last night that I entered a marathon in which people were allowed to travel by other means than just on foot if they had health problems.  Since my leg has been problematic, I was allowed to ride a horse in the marathon.  I was behind schedule, so I quickly saddled up Rock and hopped on.  It wasn't until the final stretch when Rock took off at a gallop and I tried to slow him down with the reins that I realized I had forgotten to put on his bridle and reins, so I held on to his mane and managed to stay on until he stopped after we crossed the finish line.

The organizers were meeting to discuss how to give out awards, because apparently they hadn't considered that some vehicles move faster than others and it was an unfair marathon.  I mentioned to one judge that I forgot to put on my horse's bridle and am amazed that I completed the entire race route without incident.  Next thing I knew, they were giving me a fifth place ribbon along with some other award for bravery.  It was a fun dream.  I don't remember my dreams very often.

After that dream, I couldn't resist going on a trail ride with Rock, only I made sure to remember his bridle and reins.

He was a total sweetheart.

I expected to see some snakes, but mostly just saw some hare and lizards.

I saw a Harris Hawk perched on the top of a saguaro next to us and turned my head to take a picture of it with my helmet cam.  Just when I reached up to push the shutter release, it flew away and startled Rock.  He ran sideways a few steps, but I stayed put because my sweat was keeping me stuck in the saddle.

This is my favorite time of year to trail ride.  It's just hot enough to slow everything down around us and makes us sweat, and the trees are done blossoming so the bees have moved on to other locations.  Every time that I ride, I think about how fortunate I am to do so.  I know someday I won't be able to ride whenever I want anymore, either because I'll be working for another employer for 60 to 80 hours a week, or because I'll no longer be physically capable of doing so, and I will look back on these days as being the best days of my life.

Rock enjoys the trail rides too, but I think his best part is at the end when he gets peppermints.

8 comments:

TeresaA said...

Are you getting a new job?

I love those sorts of dreams- glad you used it as a sign (and wore a bridle)

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Teresa - Once my most pesky health problem resolves itself when I go through menopause, then yes, I'll be returning to the wide world of work.

Linda said...

When you start to dream about your horses, you know you're getting connected. I used to dream of Cowboy all the time. I even wrote a poem about it once, the first lines of which are, I think he can hear/My head turn toward him,/Even in dreams. It seems like yours was symbolic of what Rock is giving you--the ability to do things you may not otherwise be able to do. And, that he came through for you even without the proper "safety" gear. Very sweet. He's a good one. <3

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Linda - I hadn't thought of it that way, but yes, Rock definitely gives me more freedom to do things I wouldn't dare do on some of my other horses. I don't think I've had a single day with him in which I looked at his demeanor and told myself I'd better not ride that. He's just so steady. He's also a horse who clearly understands that I love him and everything I do for him is in his best interests.

ellie k said...

It is always good to read you had a good ride. I understand pain that keeps you from enjoying the things that you enjoy. Of course I am 71 hrs old so I have a feww years on you. I get so tired of not doing things I like because that day I hurt some place or other. Just hang in there and enjoy every day you can, enjoy the horses even if it is only grooming them somedays. Love your blog.

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ellie - I love your typo of 71 hrs old. The only difference between 71 hrs and 71 yrs is one letter. I know a lot of younger people who insist that they will be riding in their 70s, as if they think it is a matter of choice or will. It all depends on a person's genes and the luck of the draw. The majority of people I do see riding horses on the trails are of retirement age, and all I can do is hope to be as fortunate at them.

Crystal said...

That's a pretty cool dream, would be much funner to do a marathon on a horse than to run that's for sure. Glad you have Rock so you can just go and not worry, that's the best for you right now with health and being so busy. I think my horses favorite times are the peppermints afterwards as well haha, of course I like a drink after so I guess I'm no different

ellie k said...

Oh, that's funny, 71 year old. I usually glance over what I write, guess my mind was not with it. When I typed it this time my automatic correct changed it to hrs. Again until I typed years out. I am not as active as I would like to be but you know when pain takes over your body it is hard to get moving.