Monday, May 9, 2016

Critter City

I like to occasionally wander around the property around sunset to catch critters on camera.  The neighborhood is very quiet right now, so I don't have to deal with neighbors scaring anything away.  Usually, when I'm on one of my wildlife photo shoots, someone spots me and starts waving and calling out my name, and I lose my models as a result, so I've got to take advantage of the ghost town feel the neighborhood has at the moment.

While walking around I found two jaw bones and each one contained the teeth that the other one was missing.  I researched it online but could not figure out what kind of animal it belonged to.  My husband then did some research and found that it's a bobcat jaw.  He always manages to locate information that I can't find.  It's his knowledge of how search engines work that gives him this gift of doing online detective work.

I tried taking a picture of the jaw bones, but the camera refused to auto-focus on them, and I didn't have my reading glasses with me to get things set up for manual focus, so I gave up.  The interesting thing was that I found the bones lying on top of a critter hole, so I imagine that the bobcat was trying to go after a ground squirrel and perhaps got a mouthful of rattlesnake venom instead?  Or maybe it was just sick and died there.  It was on a part of my property I never visit, because the neighbors sit up on their porch all day and night overlooking this space, and you know how I love being stared at.

I'm waiting for a tow truck right now, because our car won't start.  It broke down right after I saw a bunch of round-tailed ground squirrels running around on our driveway and poking around in our garage.  We think they got up into the engine and chewed some wires.  Wouldn't be the first time.  This is what the little shits look like...



We have a lot of new litters of bunnies.  They descend upon the barn right after I feed the horses and hop around the horses' legs while eating whatever falls out of their mouths.  I'm surprised that the horses don't accidentally stomp on them when getting flies off their legs.


These two were hopping over the top of each other, sparring for the territory.  The three below are lined up waiting for me to leave, so that they can get to the grain...





The vultures tend to sit around on perches after a rainstorm to dry their feathers.


I finally caught the mama cactus wren feeding her babies in the saguaro...

Some scenery...


The clouds and cool breezes were nice while they lasted.  Now we are heading into the furnace of summer.  I'm still waiting on that annual gila monster sighting.  Nothing yet.

5 comments:

Crystal said...

What kind of rabbits are those? There sure is a lot of them around and they seem tame(ish)
Ugh vultures, not the prettiest bird around specially when wet, I have only ever seen one around here I think he musta been lost

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Crystal - They are Desert Cottontails. Those are the only type of rabbits I've seen outside of wild hares with the super long ears. The hares are shy and run away when I'm riding in the desert. It's hard to get a photo of them, but they are huge. I've mistaken them as being coyotes.

Brenda said...

Have you seen a Jackalope yet? ;). I love the bunny pictures. We used to have a lot of them in our backyard. You could sit at the kitchen table in the early evening and there'd often be 8 or so. Or I'd come home from work and they'd be nibbling on the next door neighbor's lush grass. Unfortunately the dogs we have now are bunny chasers so they've moved to other places.

Bummer on not seeing the Gila Monster. Hopefully soon. I was just thinking about it the other day.

Linda said...

Great shots! I don't know how horses keep from stepping on little critters either. I guess they're really tuned into their surroundings. Your wildlife is so very different than ours up here. You don't see vultures, that's for sure!

Mrs Shoes said...

Beautiful shots (as usual), may fav today is the close up on Bugs' face.