Tuesday, May 17, 2016

I Lied

I said I couldn't ride today, but the morning appointment got moved to the afternoon, so I took full advantage of the situation...

Any manners that Rock lost while on vacation he usually gains back if I can ride him two days in a row.  His only troubles were not softening up enough to let me guide him straight through the gate, so we had to circle a couple of times, and not stopping once we were committed to going back to the barn.

I saw a baby vulture flying around with a huge stick hanging out of its mouth and I wanted to see what it was going to do with it, but Rock wouldn't stop and be patient.  It flew onto a power pole next to a full grown vulture and set the stick down, but I didn't get to see anything after that.  For years, whenever I read articles about softening your horse, I didn't know what they were talking about, because my Arabs never needed softening.  But now that I've got a QH, I totally understand why some horses need softening up.

Bombay didn't eat his breakfast, and Lostine only ate about half of hers, so I just closed the gates to their stalls to keep Gabbrielle out.  However, when I returned from our ride, I saw this...

Someone, most likely Bombay, got the gate to Lostine's stall open and let Gabbrielle inside to chow down.  She's getting so fat that she's going to explode.  Obviously, I'm going to need to just bring a wheelbarrow with me into Bombay and Lostine's stalls and pull all the leftovers out in the future.  I'll probably run Gabbrielle's butt around in the round pen a bit too.

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Is that your house in the first pic?
What does a baby vulture look like? Anything like the adults?

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Crystal - No, that's my neighbor's house. The baby vulture was red, as opposed to dark brown or black. At first I thought it was a falcon.

Linda said...

Rock's a good boy. I have all QH's and one Mustang, so I know all about softening. Not that I've done any for the last week since getting a new dog. You're making me want to get out and ride.