Thursday, May 26, 2016

Just Run in Circles While I Stand Here

It was getting late in the day and too close to dinner time to go for a ride by the time I was freed up to work with the horses, so I just lunged each of them.  Bombay mugging for the camera and reaching for the stars...

Lostine getting down to business...

She spends so much time standing around in the shade that I forgot how beautiful and flashy her chestnut coat is.

Gabbrielle doing her bunny hop...

Rock doing his lazy man's rendition of a trot...

I think he fell asleep here for a moment.  The way they move really represents their personalities well.  Ironically, the only horse to spook was Rock, because he wasn't paying attention to all the bunnies flitting around in the bushes and one took him by surprise.

I've decided that I want to transplant trees around the round pen so that there will be shade somewhere in the pen at any time of day any time of the year.  It will also give me more privacy, so that people can't stand up on the cliff to watch and distract my horses.  Digging down into the rocky ground will be easier said than done, though.

3 comments:

Tina said...

Where I live, farriers are basically extinct. Last one was on time, regular and then all of a sudden nothing. I called to see what was up and since they lost their biggest client in my area, they dropped anyone else without warning. So I just had to give my horses to one of my friend yesterday. He lives, 4 hours away. But it's like a whole different world. He has a farrier, same one for over a decade. Heartbroken 100% here. I never thought it would be a farrier that would end my horse ownership. Hardest thing I ever had to do. But I can't keep a horse if I can't take care of their feet. :(

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Tina - That's awful. Where I used to live, I thought a lack of hay was going to end my horse ownership. The majority of hay farmers were selling their land off to contractors who were building subdivisions. My own hay farmer threatened to sell every time I saw him. Then he started shipping his hay to Japan because he made more money that way, and he didn't have any left over for the locals.

For anyone who is wondering what this topic has to do with this post, I had a paragraph about my farrier blowing me off, but I deleted it because it turned out that he just wrote down our appointment for the wrong day. He showed up by surprise this morning. But I was talking about how difficult it is to find barefoot farriers around here.

Tina said...

I always thought it would be hay that did it too. I don't know what other people around here too for farriers. I know two people who do their own. I can't do that though...I'm too crippled up. I'm just happy that I have a friend that could take them. He's taken a horse for me once before. Super horse aggressive one. He still has him and it's his wifes horse now. They are a pretty amazing family and for that I am thankful. I know my horses are safe. A lot of people can't say that.