Monday, June 13, 2016

Just Wild

My guess that there are actually two coyotes sleeping around my house was correct.  I flushed two of them out at the same time from under the hedge...

This was at the front of the house, so I took my dogs out back on leashes to relieve themselves, but I had to drop the leashes right away because Gabbrielle was banging the iron gate really loud and I had to find a rock to chuck at her since she couldn't hear me yelling at her.  Once I got her attention and she stopped the noise pollution, I gathered up the dogs.  But Midge decided to take off running up the stone steps while Scrappy was squatting.  I didn't want to disrupt Scrappy's potty time, and Midge could get hurt falling on the hard stone when she hit the end of the leash, so I dropped her leash.  Then Stewie took off up the stairs after her and I had to drop his leash too.

When Scrappy was done, I led him up the stairs, because sometimes he needs help.  When we reached the top of the stairs where the other dogs were standing, I heard a ruckus in the Lantana bush.  I thought it was a rabbit that was stuck on a branch, but it turned out to be a black racer snake attacking a quail.  It was striking that poor bird over and over.

I knew that it was only a matter of less than a second before Stewie would be on top of that snake, so I spun around and reached down to grab him and his eye collided with my finger while he was lunging for the snake.  Poor guy, but I'm sure I did less damage than the snake would have done to him.  I grabbed all the leashes and dragged the dogs in the house.  The quail did get away, and so did the snake, so I didn't get any pictures of it.

That was the first time I've ever seen a snake actually catch its prey.  I've seen them stalking their prey, but never striking it.

I took Bombay for a short half mile hike this morning.  That was as far as I could make it before my leg started throbbing.  I tried calling to set up an appointment for x-rays, and every time the recorded message told me that it was a minimum one hour wait just to set up an appointment.  I'm not kidding when I say that Arizona has the crappiest health care I've experienced.  In one instance when I called, each time the computer interrupted the music to tell me how long it would be, the amount of time kept increasing instead of decreasing!  WTH?  Was the computer letting people cut in front of me over the phone?  I think next time I have a serious health problem, I'll just check into a hospital because I can see a doctor, get x-rays, and get all my lab work done in a couple of hours instead of being spread out over a month or so.

All the different medications I've been taking have been messing up my digestion, so I decided to just stop eating.  I bought a juicer and am on an all liquid diet.  I thought I'd have no energy without food, but fresh squeezed fruits and vegetables actually give me more energy.

I was looking forward to our saguaro blooms, but it looks like the birds are eating them all...

Geez.  I like to eat them too.  Save some for me.

The horses had another "first" this morning...

First time they've seen a building grow legs and walk down the street.  My neighbor had a huge shed delivered on a flatbed trailer.  I had to keep an eye on them to make sure they didn't set it down on our side of the property line.  This neighbor thinks he owns a section of our property at the top of the hill even though we have paperwork and measurements that prove otherwise.  We decided to not argue with him unless he tried building something there.  He let his grand kids build a treehouse in our tree, and we let that go.  Fortunately, they aren't interested in playing in the treehouse anymore, so we've regained our privacy.  It looks like he did set the shed down on his own land, so I think we're okay.  The other morning the guy woke us up before sunrise revving his race car engine.  Neighbors can be such a pain.

4 comments:

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Oye! I finally got through to the scheduling department the next day only to be told by a snotty lady that they don't set up appointments for x-rays. I have to walk-in and wait. Talk about gambling. I suspect that I will be making the long drive out there only to turn around and come back home several times, because I usually can't get a seat in that place. It's standing room only. Considering that x-rays are often used for broken bones, not setting up appointments is rather insensitive to people who are in pain and can't stand in line or sit in uncomfortable chairs a long time.

Cheryl Ann said...

Our HORRIBLE neighbors to the east just put up a 6 foot block wall. THANK GOD! The one yells at me constantly and calls me "filthy BITCH" and "white trash"! He's mentally unbalanced. Their works took down, without permission, part of OUR wooden fence to build the block wall, but they put it back and cleaned up ALL their trash, so we aren't complaining. At least now it will keep the LUNATIC out of our yard!

Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Cheryl Ann - That's very fortunate. I wished my spying, eavesdropping, staring, gawkers at my old place would build a wall, because I couldn't afford it. However, there was a 6-foot limit put on the height by the county, so the neighbors could still stand on their porch to watch me if the wall was there.

Crystal said...

thats weird no appointments for xrays what a pain, get there as soon as they open or a bit before for the best chance Im thinking.

I have never seen a snake get prey either but have seen snakes as prey, mostly for hawks, shrikes and cats