Sunday, June 5, 2016

Little Critters Galore

Our place has been very popular with the little critter crowd lately.


Several quail couples have had babies, but I haven't been able to get pictures of the babies yet, because Mama and Papa are very protective and race them to shelter the second they hear a noise.

I have also been trying to get pictures of the male and female Cardinals that hang out on our porch, but for some unknown reason, my camera always jams when I try to shoot them.  I've decided to get my professional camera set up with its telephoto lens and keep it within reach since my point and shoot can't seem to handle it.

Today the male Cardinal sat on the railing for a good minute or two, the longest he's ever hung around, and I was cursing because my camera behaved as if its battery had been removed.  It was prompting me for the date and time, and all the settings got changed back to the factory reset, so the camera was making loud beeping noises that are never a good thing when trying to photograph wildlife.  The first thing I do whenever I get a new camera is to turn off all the sounds.

So, my husband ran over with his mobile phone and tried taking photos only to get distracted because our diabetic dog Midge took advantage of our momentary inattention and was wolfing down Scrappy's dog food, so now we get to be up all night with a dog who has to pee every half an hour.

The dynamic that is going on at feeding time between our three dogs right now is a nightmare.  None of the dogs will eat if we lock them in separate rooms.  They have to eat together, but that means having to keep a close eye on them so that they don't steal each other's rations.  Stewie and Scrappy leave their bowls to follow me around and beg for something more palatable.  I don't remember ever having problems getting my dogs to eat back in the good old days, but my current day dogs sure hate every dog food I put in front of them.  The further we get away from natural foods, the more problems we create for ourselves and our pets.

The squirrels are always happy to pose for the camera...



I really need a tripod to keep things in frame, but there's just no time to set one up with all this action going on...

That bird looks so evil with its orange eye.  It's squawking at the squirrel to stay away.  This next shot was photobombed by a quail...

This next shot is blurry and hazy because it was taken through a window, but I wanted to post it to show you how alike rabbits and horses are...

Rabbits pin their ears back and chase other rabbits away from food.

With temps in the hundred teens, I stumble upon a lot of listless creatures trying to keep cool.  There's one in the distance by Bombay's muzzle...

Here's the close up...

I had gone out to spray the horses down with water and this little guy or gal was lying just a few inches away from my feet, too tired to get up and run for its life.  The dogs found a dead rabbit under a bush in our front yard too.  Its tough for animals to survive in this heat.

My husband took over the barn chores these past three days so that I could give my leg a rest.  When I went outside to spray down the horses, they were so happy to see me that Rock, Bombay, and Gabbrielle surrounded me and each of them took a bite of my shirt and pulled me in opposite directions, as if saying, "She's mine!  No, she's mine!"

I was so flattered to be in the middle of their tug-of-war.

4 comments:

Cheryl Ann said...

It was 113 here ALL freakin' weekend. It shattered the old record down in Thermal, CA for 3 days straight. Ugh. We just stayed indoors and hibernated. I had a stomach virus anyway, so I just stayed home on the couch. NO FUN!

Tina said...

This is cuteness overload!! Looks like you have a lot of pets!

Brenda said...

So many cute pictures! We have tons of quail and bunnies around here, too, but they're usually running away by the time you even see them.

I'm like you. New camera and the first I do is turn off the beeps. They're so annoying, especially when you're trying to photograph something where silence is super important.

Mrs Shoes said...

I'm always impressed by your photos Nuz; my favourite is the resting rabbit today.